Pump noise and sometimes pulsing | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pump noise and sometimes pulsing in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi guys

Have moved into a house with a fairly old plumbing system from 70’s. However boiler has been replaced around a decade ago by a Worcester- working great. Pump is around 5 years old.

I have a bit of a strange problem (to me at least). In the morning after the boiler has been off all night everything seems to work great. All rads get hot and pump is pretty quiet and as expected. This seems to run great for at least a few hours then during the day the problems seem to begin.

The pump gets noisier and noisier with loud humming that can be heard throughout the house. Some of the downstairs rads then appear to struggle to get hot In the evening. Also in the evening the pump starts pulsing. If you turn it off it stops the pulsing and noise for a time. But usually only a few minutes before it comes back. You have to leave it off for hours (like overnight) it seems to get a good run of quiet operation with no pulsing.

Is the pump just done? Why does it run quietly and properly for hours at a time in the mornings?

Other things to note. We use hot water much more heavily later in the day, although it is on in the mornings. Also there is a short gurgling noise that happens when the pump switches off after it’s been pulsing. It doesn’t do this when switched off when it’s not been pulsing - like in the mornings.

It’s been doing this for a good week or two now since the weather turned.

Hope someone can help!

Edit. Forgot to add that it’s fed from a tank in the loft and is a y plan system.

The dead-end pipe (probably part of a bypass) won't be helping as it will be full of air and act like a trampoline when the circulator starts and stops. Water can then bounce up and down the vent. The same thing happens if there's air trapped in pipework or radiators but at least you stand a chance of bleeding them!

Not good but It looks like there is a manual vent plug on the top. That combined vent & cold feed will only work IMO if its "static", ie that the vent is just that without teeing off to supply other rads etc and ditto with the cold feed with no returns above the H. I have a 50 year old combined vent and cold feed where the vent passes up (and over) adjacent to the F&E tank with the cold feed teed straight in to it with a very short (<100mm) piece of pipe from the end of the tank, works perfectly well.

Attachments

• Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 31
Just thought I'd update this as we finally got it sorted!

First the plumber sealed the system and this improved the situation a little as air was no longer being sucked in. However we still had problems with pump noise and pulsing unless the pump was set very low.

Pump inspected again, all ok. The only plausible explanation was then a blockage somewhere/air lock. Narrowed it down to somewhere on the primaries. Took apart again and through process of elimination decided on a blockage in the heat exchanger.

Took a punt on a refurbed one at £75 and got my plumber to fit. Refurbed one looked almost new and came with new seals. Most importantly it's solved the problem finally. Weird symptoms for a blockage in the heat exchanger maybe but there we go. Cut the old one open and it was partially blocked around the flow connection into it.

Thanks all for previous help.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Up to you, but if it’s drawing air down the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi SI......is the shower on the same floor as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can, as suggested, top up at night/very...
Replies
Views
K
  • Question
Hi, So for the past month or so I’ve been...
Replies
Views
Kevin L
K
  • Question
Might be worth the effort to call the...
Replies
Views
Back