Qual oil pipe | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Qual oil pipe in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

So you would need the fittings at tank valve and strainer, then couplings, then your run of Qual pipe, another coupling and then your isolating valve, filter and fire valve before continuing to burner. Even if you do the iso valve, filter and fire valve properly with bushes and not multiple compression fittings that is a lot of potential leaks. Also any joints below ground need to be done properly as well, 450mm depth, a base of sand above and below oil line and marking tape 150mm below ground level to show a join. I'll stick to copper thanks lol.

Correct too many joints for my liking underground also you couldn’t flare it so there’s that

or fit a Tiger loop then it’s 100m :D

Just remember if you're not flaring it you need inserts for compression, in case you didn't already know.

tbh wouldn’t risk it underground run a new line

Exactly. We never experienced a major leak but I know of many horror stories of either oil tank fires, or hundreds of litres lost to the environment. The environment agency will blow their lid if it was proved you were responsible for such a leak. Thousands in a clean up bill.

This was a fire at my sisters property. Fortunately the tank was installed to current regs and situated nowhere near the shed (just out of picture). The tank is about 1000 litres I believe. Could of been a whole lot worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-193309_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-193309_Facebook.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 27
Do you know what started it ?

Yeah, he's a bit of an idiot but an aeronautical engineer like my sister 🤔.
The thing is and a point I've tried to make clear to many of my clients over the years is the storage and supply of fuel oil is no less dangerous than that of lpg or mains gas. The main difference is that gas fires or explosions tend to be more common simply because of how many installs there are within the nation.
My dad had a call out one day. A customer of his had recently and unbeknown to them sprung an oil leak. They had the builder trimming some stuff with a chain saw. A small ember flew into the pool of oil, vaporised enough for ignition and the whole tank went up. The aftermath was sobering.

The above are all good reasons to only use top-outlet tanks.
I run a single run of qualpipe underground then above ground inside 20mm metal conduit to a glanded box. Connection to copper is inside the box. Qualpipe is protected from UV and no underground joints. Of course the qualpipe above ground is not fireproof but on a top-outlet tank it's not an issue.

The above are all good reasons to only use top-outlet tanks.
I run a single run of qualpipe underground then above ground inside 20mm metal conduit to a glanded box. Connection to copper is inside the box. Qualpipe is protected from UV and no underground joints. Of course the qualpipe above ground is not fireproof but on a top-outlet tank it's not an issue.

they said that wasn’t an option as I was going to run it in 6m of 20mm galv conduit

Shaun - I would agree for a bottom-outlet tank. Conduit would provide no protection from the heat of a fire. It'll have to be copper down into the ground. Then swap to copper inside an inspection chamber.
What we need is a fire rated sleeve to go over the plastic pipe to allow it to be brought above ground. We use such things in industry but they would be prohibitively expensive for domestic use.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.pipelife.co.uk/content/dam/pipelife...
Replies
Views
Thanks yes I've seen that but it doesn't give...
Replies
Views
So getting back to my original question, do...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
Back