Question regarding connecting underfloor heating to existing system | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Question regarding connecting underfloor heating to existing system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it might be. Couldn't see how it would fix any kind of issue properly.

you can find out the correct lay out by looking at your boiler,cylinder and ufh manufactures guide. personally i would get someone qualified locally in, to commission system properly you have decent equipment at your house and manufacturers wont repair equipment without it being registered with them, regardless of fault.

I am going to get someone out next week. Its running totally fine today.
I will get the system flushed, boiler serviced and inhibitor put in.

sounds like a plan. just a couple of points. the bypass you fitted is purely protection for the system eg. if you had the boiler set to hot water only and the cylinder reached temp turning off the hot water zone valve, the boiler would still run and be purely reliant on the boilers built in bypass. also with the noise you keep hearing in the system this could be air still trapped in the ufh pipe-work. worth increasing the flow rates up one zone at a time to see if any air is trapped. lastly i would fit a gate valve on the rtn line from the cylinder this will help to balance the system when you are calling for heating and hot water, little things like air vents on the flow feeding the cylinder you probably are aware of. another good tip more for your bathrooms than any thing else, is to take the cold supply to the bathrooms from the 3bar reducing valve feeding the cylinder. you should see a brass nut with a blanking plate where this can be done. hope this helps and wish you all the best with your new house.

R.Brown

forget the cold feed from the cylinder prv. just released that its not a new build and you've had your bathrooms fitted more than likely over 5 years. guess ill have to start reading post throughly from now on. take care matey.

It is not recommended under Part L to fit balancing valves (Gate valves. ballofix, lockshields) to cylinders any more. Best practice is to allow as much heat as possible to get to the cylinder to achieve a rapid heat up. What's the point of having a super duper high efficiency coil and then throttling it down. With modern control systems the hot water can be timed to come on half an hour before the heating requirements and have no detrimental effect on the heating.

i might have this wrong but i always thought that part l was legal requirements in new buildings and only best guidance on any changes to existing systems due to financial and practical restraints. im not 100% though. I mean they change reg's so many times without thinking about the practical and financial implications, that when they revert back to the old system it makes you wonder how considered these changes are. I can understand with health and safety issues to a point, but even this has been changed back and forward so many times over the last few years. A good example of this would be the change of the regs regarding electrical consumer units, such as every mcb circuit must be protected by rcd with 30ma trip. 16th edition regs 2004. sounded great, until the finally realized that when a light bulb blows, it would trip the consumer unit and given most light are only used when its dark, you can see the potential problems. lots of old people hurt trying to get down the stairs in the pitch black to try to reset their consumer unit. There were even deaths (no joke). ironic that probably more people died through these new safety regs than would have occurred if the changes were not implemented. regs were quickly watered down and in a lot of cases changed back. now with the latest 17th edition being twice the size of previous editions such as 12 and 13 there is no clear definition of what is right or wrong. terminology like "functional provision", "Best practice" and "future proof" is just wording banded together with supplements and amendments attached to try and make sense of what it was they were trying to achieve. Electricians trying there best with what they know whilst reading the latest amendments on which consumer unit to fit in which house, most times falling back onto best guess. Split load units with 1, 2 , and 3rcd with installer using best practical options most of the time to choose which way to go. options that include installing stair lighting based on nothing other than the age of the current owner and the latest amendment to fall through his door. installing a non rcd circuit to the boiler room for a audible, wired-up EN 50291 monoxide alarms that may or may not be installed in years to come "future proof". its a real joke check out the amount of amendments in the 17th edition regs. who could forget the changes the 16th edition made for plumbers with having to cross bond all pipework in bathrooms and with trv to be fitted as standard had to cross bond between the pipe and the rad.(looked great in a £20.000 bathroom ) especially that we had to buy the earth clamps with the blue safety tag due to it being classed as a damp environment. then having to run a 6mm earth back to the consumer unit and a separate 10mm earth and 10mm t+e if you were fitting a electrical shower.this all happening while the electrician was cross bonding bathroom lighting circuits back to the switch then back to the box leaving a nice yellow warning sticker on the new lighting just installed. All regulations back in 2005 now scraped or amended. £4000 Hips and chaps certificates you needed just to sell your house... all scrapped. part p 2005 competent person definition changed 2013 to save Electrical Safety Council £61.3million and a promise from the government to look into placing health warning stickers on all diy sold electrical sockets.
i know i went a little long winded in replying to your post regarding, part l existing dwellings. but with all the blunders and all the changes made to building regs since 2005, The ongoing fight between the gas safety trust and the Electrical Safety Council over rights to control Part J of the Building Regulations. the overlap between the HSE and Department for Communities and Local Government over the safety of local Building Control, through in "gas safe" supposable looking after the register of approved fitters of the registered competent persons officially 32% of fitters do not comply with part p have been tarnished with not knowing what forms are to be filled in for local building control. when you look at all the bureaucracy electricians and heating engineers have to deal with i'm surprised its not higher.

Last edited:
Eh?

Still got the occasional light aircraft coming in to land in the airing cupboard... would love to know what it is.
So annoying, as everything else is working fine. If it was air in the boiler, then the auto-air vent on the pump should surely catch that.

And as a side note. I am a sparky - have been for 27 years. Finally gave up last year with all the rules, part-P and various other things that make out I am some unqualified bodger.
Completed all my regulation updates etc every year at my expense.
The ones that are not qualified... still plod on as usual, it only hassles the people that care from what I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
  • Question
its a real p poor install. the suspended part...
Replies
Views
G
Personally at that size UFH I would want a...
Replies
Views
Good point. My daughter rang me yesterday and...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Back