Questions About Water Meter and Leaks | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Questions About Water Meter and Leaks in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

L

Logan1981

Hello. I returned home yesterday to find an Anglian Water engineer had put a card through our door explaining that due to a substantial increase in meter readings from last, they suspect there is a leak. I called Anglian Water back and they confirmed the engineers visit and findings and asked me to complete a couple of tests.

Firstly, after removing the circular lid to the meter, I noticed it was flooded with water, about 3 inches above the surface of the meter face. I thought this was a bit unusual given we've had the hottest weather in the UK for the last four weeks plus.

Anyway, I observed the meter and noticed that whilst the numbers weren't increasing before my eyes, certainly the center black dial was rotating slowly and at least one other dial, the needle moved slowly. I thought this a bit odd as we were not using any water in the house.

I turned the supply to the meter itself off and observed the meter readings. The dials stopped moving. I left this for half an hour and returned, there was no change. I switched the supply to the meter on again and took a reading, the dials started to move again.

I then turned the supply to the house off and observed the reading. The dials again, stopped moving. I left it half an hour, no change. I turned the tap back on again and sure enough the dials began to spin, at a faster rate (not so much that the numerical digits were increasing before my eyes). I left it a further half an hour and returned to the meter. Still the dials were spinning, but at a much slower rate this time.

So it appears the dials are continuously spinning, and I guess day by day the numbers are also increasing. I looked at our last three bills which we get every 6 months. The last three bills, we were only using on average a volume of 30-40m3. The estimate at the time of last bill was 1830. Six months on from that bill and the reading on the meter is 2139. That's at least 300m3 increase in six months.

So it would appear, that I have a leak, somewhere. The trouble is, I have no idea where, and I don't know where to begin looking. We have noticed no dampness in either the floors, ceilings or walls and there are no leaking taps or toilets. Our upstairs toilet was broken for a few weeks, and was contantly trickling water into the pan. I fixed that. Surely that would not have consumed 300m3? The only oddity we did notice was a strange smell in our hallway around Christmas time, early 2010 occasionally, like a musty smell, which we put down to the rain, as it only seemed to occur when it rained.

My question, I guess, is two fold. Where and how do I start looking for a leak? And would water in the meter chamber, during our hot weather, be some sort of clue as to where the fault lies (with us, or Anglian Water)?

Thanks for your time and help. Much appreciated.

EDIT: I spoke to Anglian Water again today, and after my test results, they are confident its a leak that is our problem. They put me through to the billing department, and the girl asked if it was concrete etc. from the meter to the house, which of course it is, and she went 'oooh, see that's your liability'. However, I then pointed out to her that were it the pipe that comes from the meter to the house which was leaking, then shutting off the internal tap, the meter would still move - it doesn't. She accepted that, and went on to say it must be internal to the house then...obviously. The standing water is rain water apparently, and not unusual, even in hot weather.

But not obviously. I've looked everywhere. I cannot for the life of me see any sign of a leak. No dampness anywhere. Overflow pipes are dry as a bone. The tank in the loft is working as it should i.e. filling up and stopping, not constantly filling tank. Nothing. We have Homecare which covers radiators and the whole central heating system, so I guess as a first point of call I could ask them to send an engineer out and check that side of the plumbing. Other then that, I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do, other then get an independent plumber out to check everything else over.

IF I get that done, and its established there is no leak, then what!? Much confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
your in a tricky situation mate, do a search on here and you'll find some help, there's a tip which someone said to try that is, turn on kitchen tap over a glass/vessel of sort keeping the end of the tap in the water as you turn off the water at the meter, when the water leaks out it will syphon water out of glass.

Can see your concern with water by the meter, bail it out or use a wet hoover just to reassure yourself its not coming from that area, they tend to stay dry enough to check the joint.

Not much help maybe, but do a search here and check your insurance will help you with repair.

Thanks for replying Steve. I've tried a search but nothing seems to turn up similar to my problem.

With regards to your tip about the tap in the glass what will this tell me?

Aye, will get onto my insurance but I think firstly, I need to establish where the leak is.

Interesting story I think the water authority will say when the valve before the meter is off and the water stops it then becomes your problem it does seem strange that considering a 10 fold increase in the meter readings there does not seem to be any evidence of a leak what I think is more important is the possibility of damage to your properties foundations it does appear that maybe the water in the meter box is one of the few places this leak may have been able to show itself maybe you could dry out the box some how with sponges etc after turning off the water and then inspect the connection on your side of the meter I have had this twice on jobs in the past.I also seem to have read that water authorities sometimes do a one off repair for free [Thames Water] maybe check Anglian waters web page I wish you luck and please keep us informed:)regards turnpin

Hi turnpin, ineed that does appear to be Anglian Water's stance, although they go on to say that if its shut off at the internal side, and the meter stops, the problem is ours. I can accept that, as it would make sense that I've proven either side of the meter, is working as it should. Its from the point the water enters our house from the internal tap onwards, appears to be the problem.

But as I say, there is no obvious leak. I've been doing further tests this morning, checking toilet systems for small leaks that may go unoticed, looking around the whole house outside for overflows - bone dry, nothing. I've been up in the loft and initially thought it might be the cold water tank constantly refilling, but after waiting up there about 5 minutes, it did eventually stop filling once the float had reached its cut off point. I'm at a loss as to where 300m3 has dissapeared to in 6 months.

I've been out to the meter again and I've used a flannel to get shot of the standing water, its now well below the meter itself (before it was a good 3-4 inches above it).

We are off out for the day, so I'm going to take the reading before I leave and then check it out again when we get back to see exactly how much its leaking, while there is nobody in the house using any water.

Thanks for the help and advice thus far.

By what you said I'm betting on you having floorboards downstairs with heating pipes underneath, the leak coming from those in the hallway area.

Reason being you said when you turned it back on the water ran fast then slowed down, I think this is because the heating tank drained a bit and ball valve dropped more than usual, so filled back up at full rate, the constant ticking is the ball valve just keeping the tank topped up.

Check your heating tank to see if this is the case

I'm totally stumped to be honest with you. Anglian Water are telling me, due to the consumption jump, that I have a leak, yet I cannot explain it.

I checked the meter yesterday morning, now this was BEFORE we had a shower etc. and it was reading:

|2|1|3|9|3|8|

We were out all day yesterday. So there was no water running while we were out from about 12pm till 8pm. I checked it again on our return and it was reading:

|2|1|3|9|4|2|

So it hadn't budged much at all, and I'll accept the difference between 38 and 42 was us having a shower etc. Before bed I guess we'd run the taps a few times, brush teeth, grab a drink, flush the toilet etc. the usual things. Last usage of water would have been about 11pm until I got up this morning for work, and I was out early at about 5am.

I returned from work at 8am (yeah, its a hard life on the railway :p ) and checked the meter once more. This time it was only reading:

|2|1|3|9|5|2|

Again, I would expect that difference between 42 and 52 to reflect the activites before bed and the activities by me this morning.

Bottom line, I'm not sure I actually DO have a a leak afterall. I mean, as an educated guess by you guys, would you expect those number increases to be about right for daily consumption?

Question is, where do I go from here? Some how, there has been a massive jump from us using 30-40m3 in a six month period to us using 300m3 in a six month period. We've not changed any habits, we're not consuming any more water.

The only issue we had, as mentioned, was a leaking toilet for a duration earlier in the year until I fixed it. Could that honestly be what caused the hike?

Confused.

EDIT: |2|1|3|9|7|5| this morning (Monday). That's since the last reading Sun morning, and we've had the dishwasher on Sun morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
A leaking toilet (overflowing) could be the cause. If a toilet contains around 6 litres of water and fills in a minute then the flow rate is 6 l/min (this is on the conservative side) that is over 8m³ per day so about 30 days for the extra water you used.

Does your toilet have a country pattern flush valve (overflow down through flush pipe to wc bowl) ? I've seen a job similar up here that that the owner was checking the overflow outside and it was dry all the time,not realising that the water was overflowing into his wc bowl.

It would have been the toilet.

Turn off the water to the house before you go out for the day, then turn back on when you return and see if the meter goes round. Get someone to go round the house at the same time and check for cisterns filling (loft and WCs)

Thought I'd best update.

Ok well it was bugging me that the numbers on the meter, were not drastically moving in front of my eyes, and that there was no obvious signs of a leak anywhere inside the house. So I rang Anglian Water back and explained the above and that it could only have been the leaking toilet.

Cut a long story short, she had me do the test one final time, but this time leaving it for an hour (no idea why as you'd think moving 1 digit in 4-5 days would be ample evidence it is not gushing a leak that would expain a 300m3 increase in usage over six months...) which I did, and there was no movement to the meter, so they calculated the leakage allowance at just over £600.

My bill for the six month period was the usual £175 after the £600 was deducted.

I will continue to monitor my meter readings every fortnight/monthly so this sort of thing doesn't go unoticed for so long agian.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, much appreciated.

Similar plumbing topics

I
  • Question
Not normally as the stop tap is before the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ha easier said than done cutting back to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
  • Question
It's outside on the pavement
Replies
Views
  • Question
So, to close this thread the solution I found...
Replies
Views
Back