Radiator Valve Sizes | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Radiator Valve Sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter what the technical description for the valve is, I took the original one into the plumbing merchants and they said they had never seen one before with that sized thread on the radiator outlet!!

It doesn't matter what the technical description for the valve is, I took the original one into the plumbing merchants and they said they had never seen one before with that sized thread on the radiator outlet!!

You have a screwfix and a b&q in Abingdon suggest you try either of them, b&q will have them out on display.

Because it's not a 1" lockshield with drain off :banghead:
I didn't say it was a '1" lockshield with drain off '. In fact it is a 10mm radiator valve with drain off which can be configured either as a lockshield or a manual valve as described on the packaging but it has a 1" thread on the radiator connection.

I didn't say it was a '1" lockshield with drain off '. In fact it is a 10mm radiator valve with drain off which can be configured either as a lockshield or a manual valve as described on the packaging but it has a 1" thread on the radiator connection.

But that's not the rad connection, it's the connection on the Union

But that's not the rad connection, it's the connection on the Union

AWJD, it is made up of 2 parts, the 1st part screws into the radiator on a tapered thread then your valve connects from this part via the large nut to your 10mm pipe.

My radiator came with the tail/unions already in place and that is what I was trying to connect a new valve to. What I was trying to understand is what are considered standard union thread sizes for these types of valve and why Screwfix do a 1" threaded connection to the union but proper plumbing merchants don't?

Fortunately, I've now got a replacement valve from Screwfix and so the problem is solved!

My radiator came with the tail/unions already in place and that is what I was trying to connect a new valve to. What I was trying to understand is what are considered standard union thread sizes for these types of valve and why Screwfix do a 1" threaded connection to the union but proper plumbing merchants don't?

Fortunately, I've now got a replacement valve from Screwfix and so the problem is solved!

Hurrah! :hurray: :party:
I think the merchant was messing with you tbh.

Last edited:

What was the screwfix part number in case one of us guys come up against the same problem.

I bought part 36552 from Screwfix. As said, I took the original valve into the 2 x plumbing merchants and neither had a size that matched. I'm going back to Screwfix tomorrow to get another valve for the other end of the radiator without the drain.

it is called 3/4" not 1" that's why

I was referring to the diameter of the tread which was 1". And yes, this is also referred to as a 3/4" BSP thread- and the plumbing merchants still didn't stock it!

I bought part 36552 from Screwfix. As said, I took the original valve into the 2 x plumbing merchants and neither had a size that matched. I'm going back to Screwfix tomorrow to get another valve for the other end of the radiator without the drain.

Glad you got it sorted in the end however left wondering exactly what words you used ie did you say 1" for the radiator in which case I can understand the response you got.

I needed to sort out the issues with my radiator valves because this summer I will need to get all the valves changed (TRVs included this time) and didn't want any nasty surprises in terms unavailable parts. My final understanding is the following:

1. All my old radiators and modern radiators use tails which all have a 1/2 BSP male tapered threads going into the radiator.

2. Therefore, since replacement valves come with a tail, it should be possible, worst case, simply to replace the old tails (and valves) with the new tails (and valves).

3. The old standard for valves was to use a 3/4 BSP union connection ('O' ring or fibre washer seal) to the radiator tail.

4. The new standard for valves is to use a 15mm compression connector to the radiator tail.

5. Many plumber merchants don't appear to stock radiator valves with union connections any more - fortunately, other outlets, such as Screwfix do stock them still.

This has been a bit of a steep learning curve for me, not helped by not knowing what correct terminology to use at times! However, I got there in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Oh nice one, that's really useful. Those look...
Replies
Views
Hi d36csr. You aren't a bicycle plumber are...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the responses to my question, I...
Replies
Views
Check the pipe center (from wall), for new...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As oz plumber said, photo wouldn’t help us a...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back