Reasonable cost for a boiler swap (labour only) | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Reasonable cost for a boiler swap (labour only) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abbreviated but appreciated

Thats just it, £40 per hour is reasonable but it doesn't look like it will turn out to be £40 per hour. The only reason I'm looking to get the boiler myself is because the brother in law works there, it wouldn't be a consideration otherwise.

Also I'm not trying to cheap for the sake of it either - I want the job done properly as my family live here, but I don't have thousands sat in the bank for emergencies. Anything I have to pay will be on a bank load which will have to be repaid.

Anyway, that's for the advice guys. Assume my choice of boiler is ok as no-one has commented on it and the review on these forums sort of sold it for me anyway :)

Oh finally - is a magnaclean (or equivalent) essential? They are not cheap either but im not planning on moving any time soon so I want the boiler to last...

I quoted £16k and he said your quote was £4k cheaper and he was using you ! This is what he told me mate !

It does raise a point though, if the boiler is installed safety (GSR etc) and everything is sourced from the plumber, at what point does a boiler failure stop being the responsibility of the plumber and move over to the manufacturer warranty?

This is a very awkward question. People think of a boiler warranty to be like a fridge or a washing machine. The latter are stand-alone appliances, and they stand or fall on their own. A boiler is part of a bigger installation, and the condition of the rads, pipework, tanks, valves etc that make up the system, and the way that its all fitted together, can have an impact on the reliability of the boiler.

Manufacturers are not slow to realise this, and may refuse to honour the warranty*, telling you that the problem is with the installation. You go to the installer who swears the problem is with the boiler. This is why it is often a false saving to supply materials yourself. If the installer supplies everything, its all down to him, including any rows with the manufacturer.

*In fairness to Ideal, in my experience they are pretty good on warranty work

Assume my choice of boiler is ok as no-one has commented on it and the review on these forums sort of sold it for me anyway :)

Your choice of boiler is fine.

Oh finally - is a magnaclean (or equivalent) essential? They are not cheap either but im not planning on moving any time soon so I want the boiler to last...

No, they aren't essential, but fit one anyway.

At the very least, it will remove some muck, rendering your system more efficient, and reduce your fuel bills (only slightly). There is a possibility that it could extend your expensive system's life by 5 years or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Sothy a bit of sanity from CHK -

1. You already chose the boiler - it would not my choice only because we only do Vaillant
and a cheaper one in case the customer cant afford our choice- I know nothing about the one you are getting
2. However - you certainly will need a filter fitted after a pump out if your system is really
full of ferric sludge - a new boiler will last a few weeks for badly sludged systems
3. Dont be cute - if your new boiler fails and you call out the service guys all they will do is take a test sample of c/h water and if you have not treated it properly - no back up

Magna clean is the most popular - CentraMag by Trappex is Yorkshire based and made
in Uk with the most powerfull rare earth magnets.

This is my opinion based on years of experience Centralheatking

ke it will turn out to be £40 per hour. The only reason I'm lookingto get the boiler myself is because the brother in law works there, it wouldn't be a consideration otherwise.

Also I'm not trying to cheap for the sake of it either - I want the job done properly as my family live here, but I don't have thousands sat in the bank for emergencies. Anything I have to pay will be on a bank load which will have to be repaid.

Anyway, that's for the advice guys. Assume my choice of boiler is ok as no-one has commented on it and the review on these forums sort of sold it for me anyway :)

Oh finally - is a magnaclean (or equivalent) essential? They are not cheap either but im not planning on moving any time soon so I want the boiler to last...[/QUOTE]

Your right to question a price but the best way of answering it will be by getting 3-4 quotes and looking for a pattern. Also see or ask what is offered at quotation.

My quotations are very thorough, it protects me and my customer as it is all there in black and white. Personally if its verbal or abbreviated considerably 'fit customer supplied boiler' or similar I would be cautious. Lack of communication causes so many problems that are easily avoided.

I doubt a good job can be achieved by 1 man for 1 day. So the price should cover 2 men or 2 days at least.

As Ray has said, the filter is good protection for the boiler. I see it as more of an insurance policy for your boilers warranty. It's doesn't substitute cleaning the system as required though, which could range from a same day chemical treatment and flush to a full powerflush depending on what state it's in.

Boiler choice is a good one from what I've heard, not fitted one myself yet but it would be a choice I offer.

Last edited:
Thanks guys its been very helpful, I'll get a few more quotes in and ask each to clarify exactly what they are quoting for.

OP. I'm in Yorkshire too. You pay for quality, London rates or not.

To clarify. If an installer says it will be one day, to do the job correctly it will be a LONG day, probably with 2 men.

I personally would allow 2 days on my own, the boiler you have will be a pain to remove and then there will be a lot of re-piping to do. Then there's cleaning, filters etc.

Secondly, labour only prices will be high. For a number of reasons. 1. There are material costs other than the boiler. Pipe, fittings, filters etc etc. 2. Installer has nothing to gain by you supplying the boiler. If I get a boiler at my excellent terms, then charge you retail, my labour charge will be less. That's profit, which were all entitled to make. 3. He'll get there to find you have inevitably got something wrong. Missing thermostat/timers etc. in fact, you've probably specced the boiler wrong = return visits to sort out problems.

How do you know you need a 30kw? You're honestly better off forgetting your brother works in a merchant. I know from experience it's a non starter, there's no benefits to be had.

Get a GSR in, get him to spec and size the boiler (vogue is an excellent choice btw), and give you a price all in. I know from personally experience that staff discount Is usually cost price plus 5%, which is pretty much what most installers with good terms will pay for a boiler anyway. I got quoted for a boiler today at 1% profit.

From what I can tell all the pipework is in the right area along with power said:
From on what you can tell!

What about the prv and condensate.

I have changed a few of these powermax and they tend to be in multiple bathroom properties? What DHW flow rates are you going to get from a 30kw vogue?

Also wouldn't be surprised if this was on a landing in the middle of the house. Looking at possible vertical flue and extensions as well as pitched flashing. Additional cost of working on the roof!

I was going to put this in the Pet Hates thread... Customers who want to buy all the gear with no idea and expect you to fit everything in a day for £150 cash for a days graft!

MK

In defence of the OP. I don't think he's trying to scrimp. I think he assumed a better price because of his brother in laws connection to the merchants, but I don't think that will be the case.

Get the job done right and you'll end up with an install the fitter will guarantee to work as intended.

I have changed a few of these powermax and they tend to be in multiple bathroom properties? What DHW flow rates are you going to get from a 30kw vogue?

Its 32kw, so it won't be bad, but its still a good point. I think I would be tempted to trade up to the 40kw version for an extra ton or so - if there is more than one bathroom. If there is only one bathroom, 32kw is fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at the OP.

It's just getting more and more common (in Swansea at least) where you get punters wanting to get all the main bits on line and then want labour only!

I had one lady bought her own boiler off the web, I still picked it up from plumbcenter and then charged her extra when she omitted to buy programmer and flue!

I tend to to offer Vaillant 937 as a cracking replacement for the powermax.

You'll have 22mm cold feed to the airing cupboard... Honking!

MK

As TB Services said, im not trying to skimp on this I was asking for a reasonable price and (on the whole) I have reasonable replies with that price. No where did I expect a £150 job.

The boiler would need either a vertical flue or some extensions, which I know about and so do the plumbers that quoted. Regarding the bathrooms, I have a one 'proper' bathroom - with a bath and no shower, and an ensuite with a shower only.

Long term when my little girls get older and want a shower rather than a bath I'll probably look at an electric one, so I'll have a backup in case of boiler failures...

I believe there was, one of the people quoted did mention that but it went a little over my head as he was really confirming to himself when looking it over.

where are you mate exactly

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at the OP.

It's just getting more and more common (in Swansea at least) where you get punters wanting to get all the main bits on line and then want labour only!

I had one lady bought her own boiler off the web, I still picked it up from plumbcenter and then charged her extra when she omitted to buy programmer and flue!

I tend to to offer Vaillant 937 as a cracking replacement for the powermax.

You'll have 22mm cold feed to the airing cupboard... Honking!

MK

A mate who I used to work with replaced his powermax for a 937 and was disappointed with performance. Better options out there IMO.

I think a lot depends on the mains pressure coming in thought to be fair.

We've done quite a few and have never had any dramas with them.

Horses for courses and all that.

Worcester high flow is another option:D

I don't think we have to justify charging for what really is expertise. The days of 30 quid for a job are long gone. I'm in a battle with a custard regarding the cost of a pump on a crappy biasi. He's paid, but is now complaining (clearly a know all has whispered in his ear). It's just unfair, I've actually charged him the trade price!! You get what you pay for in my view and personally, I'd snatch the Engineers' hand off for their quotes if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The room thermostat should turn the boiler off...
Replies
Views
Test flow rate/pressure of your mains. If it’s...
Replies
Views
Better asking in the gas engineer section, as...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
I know who you are, I was just interested in...
Replies
Views
Back