Registering Boilers......Or not | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Registering Boilers......Or not in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alspeed

Went to a breakfast morning at my local merchants last week, and the topic of registering boilers came up......
I was surprised to find that out of around 8 installers munching bacon butties, i was the only one bothering to register boilers.....admittedly my office time/skills are a bit wanting, and sometimes i leave them months before registering, but they get done eventually.

The main reason seemed to be that guys were unhappy about GSR selling details of installs to other businesses who then approach the custard with service deals etc.... I had no idea this was going on.

Also a couple of blokes reckon their customers had had a knock on the door from the local GSR inspector asking to inspect the installation without the engineer present.

What are your thoughts on all this ???

Worcester Bosch had an article about this a couple or so months ago and they were thinking about taking legal action over this.

Essentially, as I remember it, plumbers were installing boilers and registering them. Then Gassafe was selling details on to another gas/plumbing company (called something like British Gas Home) who were mailing those customers about a warranty plan and by doing so were pinching the customers off the original installers.

vaillant are guilty of this also so I would not recommend installing any of their boilers including remeha . ideal, keston

vaillant are guilty of this also so I would not recommend installing any of their boilers including remeha . ideal, keston

Barstewards! I quite like Vaillants too!, Mind you I was hearing that we don't have to register Boilers up here but I don't know how true that is. Ive been faithfully registering my installs, Ill be pretty annoyed if I lose out on the servicing because of this!

It was Corgi who were doing that and the company was (is) Corgi homecare. There was a bit of a row about it at the time (only a few months ago). A few manu's are guilty of it too.

I never register anything and never have because up here i don't need to.

i haven't for ages, and after reading this im not bothering, i went on an intergas training course and the guy running it said: he had one of the GSR chiefs sat in this room and he said its not compulsory to register. not sure i believed him or not, but if i ever get pulled up for it then that is my excuse

vaillant are that bad that when u register the 5 year waranty there is a box u tick to say that you will be taking up the servicing of this boiler and they still send them a insurance plan, gits,

Worcester Bosch had an article about this a couple or so months ago and they were thinking about taking legal action over this.

Essentially, as I remember it, plumbers were installing boilers and registering them. Then Gassafe was selling details on to another gas/plumbing company (called something like British Gas Home) who were mailing those customers about a warranty plan and by doing so were pinching the customers off the original installers.

Thats pretty dirty, GSR going the same greedy way as CORGI perhaps?

GSR and BG belongs to Centrica and thats why I guess they are helping out each other. Correct me if I am wrong.

im getting that warm sensation runnning down my back , same as i get from the odd customer

gsr isnt centrica is run by capita

It's "run" by Capita who have recently announced huge profits and have connections with goverment and private contracts and out sourcing.According to Wiki they are a frequent target for the satirical magazine Private Eye due to it's alleged record of incompetence and impropriety.

Draw your own conlusions.

there is no need to register boilers in scotland(straight from the GS inspectors mouth), and now after reading this post i dont think i will be doing this

I have registered all of our boiler installs the last few months since one customer had his solicitor involved telling him he should have his building control certificate which comes from gas safe once you notify. I didn't even know this and have notified every one since, it also looks proffesional to the customer when they get their certificate and gives me peace of mind that I am covering myself by following correct procedure. (in the UK)

went to check on an install today and the custard had the gas safe letter it offered to check the install but he had to reply for that to happen i know what people are saying on here but if a house comes up for sale the solicitor often asks for the gas safe no and its hard to get retrospectivly

Money making racket. Pure and simple and just one more way of the big brother
Keeping a eye on us all. I remember a time when we bought a gas gurantee booklet
Off CORGI £8.00 50 tickets. Filled one in Eg: ckr,boiler,fire, etc and that was that. We have sat our gas assessments carry our gas safe card we are on the gas safe register with a profile picture we are fully qualified. Well most are. So why register? Well its a
way for the tax man to keep a eye on whats going on in the industry. All that lovely data just a click away no need to trawl the streets? I'll have that. Plus the
Registration fee to Gas Safe. Nice way to make money. Watch out for the bad guys.

England and Wales only

similar topic as notifying , you ever had any bother with a guarantee call out from the manufacturer Tam if you haven t registered the guarantee ? just another con they re using to try and sell the punter a service plan , well out off order. its on our merchants invoice when the boiler was purchased, and the commisioning sheet shows the install date so why do we need to register a guarantee.

been back to customers i v registered their guarantee , and they ve showed me bumf from the manu trying sell to them, ranging from £80-160 per annual service or a monthly plan to extend the warranty .

nowt else is getting registered by me, never notified anything to gsr cause we don t need to up here.

Vokera used to get me fed up with that one so i stopped using them. My invoice is the punters proof of purchase date.

Just about every manu are pushing their own stuff. Maybe they should think twice about biting the hand that feeds them but i suppose a lot of guys just fit and forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all

This has come up a few times and I have answered it before when we have talked more generally about how the Register uses data about you.

Let's be clear -notifying an appliance is to satisfy the requirements of Building Control and you are notifying THROUGH us, not TO us. In most respects we are simply acting as a postbox.

As for how we use your information, I have said it before but and happy to say it again:

Gas Safe Register has not, does not and will not use your registration information for commercial activity. It is expressly forbidden in our agreement with HSE and it forms part of the Rules of Registration all registered businesses sign up to. We have a declaration on the website which explicitly states our responsibilities under Data Protection regulations:

"Data provided and held by the scheme on registrants and their customers will be treated in confidence and used strictly for the correct and proper operation of the register.

It will not be sold or commercially exploited in any way."

You can find that paragraph about half way down this page:
[DLMURL="https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/Registration.aspx"]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/Registration.aspx[/DLMURL]

If you have concens about how other organisations are using data which may have come from notifications then you need to direct your enquiry to them or to the Information Commissioners Office.

GasSafePR

Something is happening though.

Worcester Bosch has employed lawyers to look into why installers finding their customers are receiving letters from Corgi Homecare soon after registering new boiler installations.

"The current problem is that it would appear somehow Corgi Homecare has got hold of a database of all homeowners who have had a boiler installed over the last few years and are subsequently targeting them with an alternative contract for the ongoing service of their boiler."

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/cache/file/90/installer-s-choice--may-2011.pdf

(Pages 10/11 or page 6 on pdf file)

:icon14:
Hello all

This has come up a few times and I have answered it before when we have talked more generally about how the Register uses data about you.

Let's be clear -notifying an appliance is to satisfy the requirements of Building Control and you are notifying THROUGH us, not TO us. In most respects we are simply acting as a postbox.

As for how we use your information, I have said it before but and happy to say it again:

Gas Safe Register has not, does not and will not use your registration information for commercial activity. It is expressly forbidden in our agreement with HSE and it forms part of the Rules of Registration all registered businesses sign up to. We have a declaration on the website which explicitly states our responsibilities under Data Protection regulations:

"Data provided and held by the scheme on registrants and their customers will be treated in confidence and used strictly for the correct and proper operation of the register.

It will not be sold or commercially exploited in any way."

You can find that paragraph about half way down this page:
[DLMURL="https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/Registration.aspx"]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/Registration.aspx[/DLMURL]

If you have concens about how other organisations are using data which may have come from notifications then you need to direct your enquiry to them or to the Information Commissioners Office.

GasSafePR

Thanks for the clarification

Hi,just a thought. i have serviced my brothers boiler for years.when he needed a new boiler, i sung the praises of worcester bosch,any way he called me and said 'hay kid w/bosc contacted me to sell him a service contract £11.95 per month" wodur rekon"
I can't repeat what i said, only that's the last time i fit a w/b taking the bread out our mouths. I think to myself what coming next, free boilers fitted free if you take out our warranty scheme, Ha Hah!!!!

GSR belongs to Capita & BG Centrica...

I register all the Vaillants I've fitted around 50 a year and the customer gets a reminder to book in for a service with us when its due..
Never had or heard of problems with Vaillant installs & servicing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It sounds like a misinterpretation of...
Replies
Views
W
Or £50 for an indemnity policy.
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Although it may seem a waste of time but just...
Replies
Views
Back