Releasing pressure in pipwork | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Releasing pressure in pipwork in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi
I know that this may seem like a daft question, but here goes.
Is it possible to release pressure in pipe work.
Let me expand.
I've been undertaking some changes to the pipework in out ground floor kitchen. The pipework had been completed using JG Speedfit, so I've used the same to make the changes.
As a temporary measure, whilst completing the job, I installed two Speedfit Stop Ends. This meant that I could turn the water back on overnight before turning it back off again the following day to complete the project.
However, the Stop end was extremely difficult to remove. First of all I turned the water off at the main stopcock. Then I used two water pump pliers to remove each of the stop ends. I placed one jaw over the end of the stop end and the other jaw over the back of the collet and squeezed the handles together. This pulled the collet toward the end of the stop end and allowed the stop end to be released. But it went with a right bang!. I guess the cause of this was the pressure within the pipe, I guess from the water still in the pipework. Although the water had been turned off, my guess is that because the stop end was at the end of run of pipe work, on the ground floor, where a lot of water in the pipework above maybe trying to flow down to, this static water was still causing pressure in the pipework.
I'm worried that removing the stop ends using the previously mentioned method, may cause damage, either at the location of the stop end or further up the pipeline, because of the sudden drop in pressure when the stop end is forced off the end of the pipe.

There are currently no isolation valves near to the stop ends (I will be installing them later), so is there a away of releasing pressure in that particular section of pipe?

Many thanks
D

When you release the Speedfit stop end you're trying to compress the water in the system.
Close the main stopcock, then open the nearest tap.
When you release the stop end any pressure building up will push water out the open tap.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Lou. No change. I have not been able to get...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Please let us know what it turned out to be!
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideally take the toilet out and shouldn't be a...
Replies
Views
I
  • Question
Not normally as the stop tap is before the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot...
Replies
Views
Back