Reminder NOT to use uncoated copper through cement! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Reminder NOT to use uncoated copper through cement! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Job yesterday - barn conversion with flood in a wetroom. Copper pipe had been run through a drylined adjoining brick wall. Due to the age and construction of the building, there is always slight dampness in these brick walls as they have no damp course.

The moisture content in the wall had caused the cement to eat into the copper causing a serious flood and damage to the fabric of the room. I had to dismantle part of a nicely tiled wall in a wetroom and saw the side out of a custom fitted oak vanity in order to access the pipe. It will take the builder and joiner at least 4 hours to put the house back to normal.

I replaced with plastic.

Everyone PLEASE remember that cement is corrosive to copper!

Whilst modern houses may get away with bare copper through cement (though it's bad practice), old properties won't.

Please protect copper pipework using coated copper or denso tape, use plastic pipe or knock out a brick and fill the space around the pipes with expanding foam! electricians tape is not enough as moisture can get between the layers.

Last edited:
I was with a well known figure in the building industry for lunch last Monday and this question
came up and he said that there is no evidence that cement eats copper. It might attack
certain solders and the main cause of leaks is the expansion and contraction of elbow
joints in concrete floors. He said that the only real way is to duct pipework properly.

I have thought cement ate copper 4 the last 35 years - but this guy has a 2nd 2 none
reputation.

centralheatking

I was with a well known figure in the building industry for lunch last Monday and this question
came up and he said that there is no evidence that cement eats copper. It might attack
certain solders and the main cause of leaks is the expansion and contraction of elbow
joints in concrete floors. He said that the only real way is to duct pipework properly.

I have thought cement ate copper 4 the last 35 years - but this guy has a 2nd 2 none
reputation.

centralheatking
and he was clearly a idiot

i usually just wrap duct tape around them, and sleeve where possible. Does denso allow for expansion ? bloody hate the stuff with a passion so hate working with it

joints in concrete floors. He said that the only real way is to duct pipework prope

reputation.

centralheatking

now dont tell me his name is bob and hes a builder ???

just a guess

On damp walls especially, use a plastic pipe as a sleeve.
Cement that stays dry doesn't seem to do much harm, but better to keep copper pipes away from cement or bricks or just about anything they don't need to touch.

reputation.

centralheatking

Interesting article here:

Copper.org: Plumbing: TechCorner - Is There A Problem With Embedding Copper Tube In Concrete?

which supports his opinion. I'm inclined to agree, as cement is not acidic, it's alkaline, and as a general rule it's acids which oxidise metals, causing corrosion and "eating" them away, whereas alkalis tend not to. Either way, protecting copper pipes against movement caused by thermal expansion & contraction is essential, that's a given.

I believe its more to do with the action of salt in the cement and bricks rather than the alkalinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Great stuff, many thanks.
Replies
Views
I wouldn't accept responsibility of something...
Replies
Views
I'll be using end feed on it and if I need to...
Replies
Views
C
no not sarcastic at all
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
L
most custards learn not to call back cowboy...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
Back