Replace 1970s bath tap head knobs | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replace 1970s bath tap head knobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lengths some people go to to save a quid bedazzles me?.

I have a small stock as in picture of the same heads supplied and fitted for £40.lol.

Not really a question of saving a quid, more to do with saving a lot of inconvenience and aggro, as firstly the taps work fine but the gate valve doesnt work in the airing cupboard and no isolating valve, so would mean draining the hot water down, getting a plumber in to replace with new taps, thus removing the fixed tongued and grooved bath panel, then would need to replace the basin taps again to match new taps on the bath, etc. After paying out £499 to British Gas two weeks ago for a power flush, it seemed stupid and an unnecessary expense to have all that done just because the taps were looking a bit old and not matching the tops of the basin taps, which they do now.

I hope that is a satisfactory explanation for you!

Well I guess some of us are better at d.i.y. than others. If my husband were still alive, he would have done it easily, would imagine nothing worse than having a useless man in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garythegolfer spent the day driving round plumbers merchants by the sounds of it (visiting 8 in total)...plus all the extra time he's spent on the internet, and at B & Q...it must total up to over 8 hours of 'work' and where is he with it? Still at square one.

If he was on minimum wage, at 8 hours, he'd have earned enough to have a trained plumber change those taps and maybe enough left over to buy a pint down the pub to celebrate. Who cares if it only takes us half hour to do, ITS OUR JOB. If it was easy we wouldn't have one.

Trully false economy here.

well i did ask him where he lived so i could possibly sort him with exchange heads but he didnt reply?.

Firstly thanks for making the effort of joining the forum and relating your similar tale. I also owe you an apology for not replying sooner to your pm but being retired means I am fully occupied....

I have now solved my problem....very much along the lines you described. I bought the chrome version of the "Swap a Top" from Choiceful.com. I paid the premium for the chrome version. When it came it the acrylic version (and was clearly marked as such on the packaging). I returned this for a refund as they no longer had stock of the chrome version. I am still waiting for this refund.

I tried to find an online source of the chrome version but failed. In the end I bought the acrylic version from an old style hardware shop in Clacton......you know the kind where you can buy 7 2" nails if that is what you need.

I already knew the (metal) adapter didn't fit directly so I drilled it out and then patiently filed the hole to a square to fit the tap shaft. I then fitted the adapter and secured it with the grub screws.

The (hexagonal) adapter fits inside the replacement tap top. The height of the adapter is about 1/2" but only about 1/8" of it seats into the tap top. The intention is that a securing screw is screwed vertically into the top of the tap shaft. My tap shafts dont have screws so my choice is to drill and tap a thread, glue the tap tops in place, or leave them free. I chose the latter option (at the moment).

The taps now work perfectly again (but you can pull the tap tops off....if you really want to).

I am disappointed that the journey has been so long but happy that the job is done a) by me and b) economically.

Thanks to everyone for the constructive comments (and even the others...you know who you are....)

Glad to hear you got it sorted, if not was going to suggest I sent you my old tap caps which were perfectly okay, but the chrome paint worn a bit inside the acrylic. I think you are wise to leave the taps so that can be pulled off, you can always warn a guest they come off if they want a bath otherwise could go into panic mode thinking they have busted something, ha ha! Glue wouldnt be a good idea if you need to change a washer.

I tried to find an online source of the chrome version but failed. In the end I bought the acrylic version from an old style hardware shop in Clacton......you know the kind where you can buy 7 2" nails if that is what you need.

classic, every one should know where there nearest one is.
open all hours.lol.

Youre right, wish I had one of those old shops in my area, instead of buying a whole bag of screws etc. when only needing a couple. I could do with some fork handles or is that four candles, LOL!

Youre right, wish I had one of those old shops in my area, instead of buying a whole bag of screws etc. when only needing a couple. I could do with some fork handles or is that four candles, LOL!

My inlaws had one but he closed it about 10 years ago as he couldn't compete with the big diy places. The place was like Aladdins cave. He had everything in there. Nobody missed it until it was gone like so many other small local businesses.
Btw i can see the trades going the same way in a few years. So many big companies getting into repair and maintainance work, people using them more because they don't know or trust anyone................we'll see.

Btw i can see the trades going the same way in a few years. So many big companies getting into repair and maintainance work, people using them more because they don't know or trust anyone................we'll see.

Let's hope not. This seems to have been the trend though, starting with supermarkets!

Hi, I have the same problem as garythegolfer posted in 2011.
Can anyone please help on where can I find 1970 style bath tap acrylic top with 5/16" square spindle.

Hi Chinmahi,

The solution I had success with is detailed in my post about 8 posts up on this page. I found a replacement acrylic ("swap-a-top") tap top that required me to file the tap spindle down to 1/4 inch. The replacement tap tops slide on (and can be pulled off) but at least the taps work properly again. Not perfect but by far the best (most economic) solution I could find.

Hope that helps.

a golfer and "carefull" gary are you by any chance a cab driver most of those would skin a turd if there was a pound inside

you can get them out, and get a set of 1010 3/4 tap repair kits ... job done
Mark

armitage/ideal they have an adapter insert to suit the tap head.

try lunns online

problem with fibre glass baths is you cant use the blow torch on the back nutsd to break the corrosion seal!!!

personally would of just payed a plumber to come and do it, sounds like you have wasted a lot of golfing time already and not really getting anywhere, by time you have spent money on all these different products to try and avoid removing taps most probably would of been cheaper to just pay a plumber to do it and you could go play golf and have good drink in club house while he is at home struggling with your taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My father's bath has unknown make tap heads...
Replies
Views
R
A good manufacturer will give you flow rates...
Replies
Views
Back