Replacement UV cylinder | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacement UV cylinder in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

As the kids are growing, I'm finding our 250L Megaflo is occasionally running out of HW.

What are opinions on having a second UV cylinder vs having a bigger 400/500L cylinder fitted? Any pros and cons?

My Megaflo is "only" 7 years old. Is there any resale value to these things, or do I just have to have it gotten rid of?

And in terms of brand - seems the Joule is recommended. Any others to consider?

How many showers and for how long approximately?
Set the hot water times so it’s up to temp before demand and on during times of use.
You could try adding a circulation pump to get the full 250l at 65 degrees

Max 2 showers at once, but they are quite a high flow rate (15-20 L/min). The cylinder is set to heat up before the heating comes on. It also heats up whilst the heating is on, but I'd imagine the flow temps are substantially lower due to heating demand.

I hadn't considered de-stratifying - is that something often done on unvented cylinders?
[automerge]1583505436[/automerge]
If theres space why not just add a second in parallel, saves getting rid of your current one

That's what Im thinking, but wanted to know if there was any significant downside. I suppose one being 2 cylinders to maintain and heat. Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and put a single 400/500L in.

whats your hot water times might be worth leaving them on 24/7 worth a try?

HW priority, can be simply done with a relay. Our 170l reheats recovers 15 minutes quicker when used. What size is your boiler output as your coil will be rated at 24kw in that MegaFlo.

You shouldn't really be running out much with a 250l even at them flow rates. We have a 170l MegaFlo (Inherited, HW stored at 55), our showers are around 16/17lpm, at two 10 minute showers (@40oc) we can just about get enough HW out of it for them.

Is it better in summer when the CH isn't on?

Boiler is a Vaillant 438.

I'm not sure about in Summer, but I guess will find out soon enough. The kids are only just now using the shower more excessively. I will have to educate them on how HW can run out and not to spend unnecessarily long in there.

I'm toying with the HW priority and increased cylinder temp (with blending valve) - as advised on another forum. I think I'll wait to replace the cylinder with one larger one as and when this becomes a bigger problem, rather than having a second cylinder fitted which seems far more costlier/complicated.

I wouldn’t increase your store temp as this can lead to other problems as the cylinder isn’t designed for this

Boiler is a Vaillant 438.

I'm not sure about in Summer, but I guess will find out soon enough. The kids are only just now using the shower more excessively. I will have to educate them on how HW can run out and not to spend unnecessarily long in there.

I'm toying with the HW priority and increased cylinder temp (with blending valve) - as advised on another forum. I think I'll wait to replace the cylinder with one larger one as and when this becomes a bigger problem, rather than having a second cylinder fitted which seems far more costlier/complicated.
I think the blending valve is OTT, storing at 60oc is more than enough. I wouldn't want to be storing it any higher as Shaun says.

You'd be surprised how much HW priority helps.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
And it's fixed! Had someone move the EV from...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I like a cylinder that has internal expansion...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Wow - ok - seems like nobody here is a fan of...
Replies
Views
Back