Replacing a Concrete Screed Floor | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing a Concrete Screed Floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

After a bit of advice. Yes, I fit wetrooms occasionally but we are quoting to replace a bathroom in a 1 bathroom house with a wetroom. The existing bathroom has a concrete floor and the lady wants a level access wetroom as she has severe arthritis.

I know there is the option of cutting out some of the floor and fitting a wetroom tray former and then covering it with cement screed but this is going to take ages to dry before I can tile it. I'm sure she won't go with that as it's her only bathroom.

Has anyone removed a concrete floor before and fitted timber supports under a WBP 25mm plywood floor? Would that even work? I don't have much experience of digging up concrete floors. The only issue I could see is that there will probably be a DPC under the concrete floor so I am not sure how to fix the timbers to it without puncturing the DPC. There must be a better option than 2 months or so of drying time!

Thanks,

Keiran.

Last edited:
U would need to dig out 12" 6" joists and a 6" air gap .

Just dig out floor and use quick setting ? Not sure on drying time tho.

Cut profile roughly from top with grinder and sand and cement with quick setting. Core drill down for drain and then core or dig in from outside . Backfill with non shrinking dry pack - additive that causes cement to expand 3% rather than shrink, ideal for filling under concrete

I think I am going to dig out the screeded area under the tray then fill it with self levelling compound and use the SLC to form the slopes in conjunction with the tray former's frame.

Without seeing it cut the screed up where tray needs to be and channel out for the waste to whereever its got to go, dont need to take whole floor up, only will need to make good the channel where the waste pipe runs. Did a similar job earlier this year, check my pics with link in quote. Drying times arnt that long, rule of thumb is 1mm a day i believe.

Without seeing it cut the screed up where tray needs to be and channel out for the waste to whereever its got to go, dont need to take whole floor up, only will need to make good the channel where the waste pipe runs. Did a similar job earlier this year, check my pics with link in quote. Drying times arnt that long, rule of thumb is 1mm a day i believe.

Just looked at your pictures, thats some very nice, neat looking work you do there! Well done mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

N
Hello all. I am totally new to this, so any...
Replies
Views
Nate n
N
Is the gas pipe magnetic?
Replies
Views
  • Question
From experience - parents had almost exactly...
Replies
Views
Hence the reference to limecrete floors. It's...
Replies
Views
I wouldn't accept responsibility of something...
Replies
Views
Back