Respossessed House - Boiler fires up, controls working, circ pump ok but no hot water | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Respossessed House - Boiler fires up, controls working, circ pump ok but no hot water in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattyW

Hi

I'm doing up a house at the moment, its a repossession thats stood empty for 10 months. The Grundfos circulating pump next to the hot water cylinder had ceased but its now working fine. The boiler fired up first time. The Honeywell 3 way valve whirs when you turn the system on and sits in Auto mode rather than manual, it all looks fine, but the hot water and radiators don't get warm. I'm getting a Gas Safe guy in to do everything but I have no idea what I am going to be looking at price wise as I don't know whats wrong.
The gas meter is ticking money away so gas is being used just the end product of heat isn't there. When I look in the boiler I cant see a pilot light, although I cant tell what boiler it is as the front panel is missing. As far as I can see there is no ignition button on the boiler. Do you get boilers without these? Any help would be really appreciated, the guy I'm getting in to service the boiler is a mate of a mate and hes going to do it very cheap but hes traveling down from the North East and doing it whilst visiting friends so if its a big job he might not have time.

Could anyone help please?

Re: Respossessed House - Boiler fires up, controls working, circ pump ok but no hot w

Yes, get a good local engineer. What you going to do if your mate of a mate doesn't turn up. More to life than cheap.

Re: Respossessed House - Boiler fires up, controls working, circ pump ok but no hot w

depending on the boiler running it with no front panel could be filling the house with co turn it of till its checked

So no pilot, no heat from boiler, but gas meter is going round, if boiler is not lit, you have a gas leak somewhere You need to turn off gas at meter until someone (Gas Safe) has tested it, if case is missing you don't know what else they have removed from inside the boiler.

cold rads may indicate the pump isnt fine after all

I've looked again today, its an Ideal Standard boiler, found out as the neighbour has the same one installed.
Igniter definitely isn't working, I turned the thermistat off for 30 seconds and back on and you can hear is clicking but not lighting. I'm going to call a Gas Safe lad tomorrow, I dont know what hope I have of getting it fixed before me and the wife move in on 1st August. Is it usually a big job to get this kind of thing fixed? Cheers for all the above help, i'll isolate the meter tomorrow.

What's address ? Tomorrow might be to late

Call national grid now 0800 111 999 before someone is killed...please

I called them before I posted on here mate, they asked if i could smell gas, i explained i dont have a sense of smell (due to boxing) so I couldnt anyway, but my wife hasnt nor has my neighbour, but I then explained everything I said on here and told them I was worried it was a leak. They said to ring Npower and ask if there was any reason my tariff could cause my metre to go down without use. Some emergency line that is... Gas Safe lad booked for 10am tomorrow.

ps. This was at 10pm when I got home from work, so they said wait till they open Npower at 8am tomorrow! Great arnt they.

You didn't say what model Ideal boiler you have ! some of these boilers the case is part of the combustion chamber and it will not fire without it, so you may have to replace the boiler.

Panic over. Npower capped the pipe, never uncapped it when they recommissioned the gas and have a £2 per week standing charge for gas. Scandalous, glad i'm leaving them anyway.

Or replace the case seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Back