retrain as a heating engineer | Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss retrain as a heating engineer in the Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nlp67

Hi Chaps,looking for any advice in retraining as a gas engineer,got a good practical background in plumbing and construction work but no certs!Going to do it all by the book now,any good gas training courses reccomended,any sensible answers appreciated.:confused::confused:

tell us where you live, (i class this as a sensible answer, you may get others!!!!)

type your post code into the gas safe web site to see your competition (in the find an engineer bit)

totally wrong time for anyone looking to get into the industry as its still on its knees...sparkies i think are still in demand
dont know where people are getting the idea that there is a shortage
as said above just do a postcode search in your area for gas engineers there are shedloads and all trying for a piece of cake
same as for people wanting to retrain in plumbing
why does noone use the search button this isnt a dig but has been covered many times and basically there is a no shortage of plumbers and gas engineers and those recently trained on fasttrack courses are bottom of the pile
i take it you are at present short of work well its no better in the gas world to the plumbing world to the building world
my advice is save your cash

Go for it mate £400.00 a day waiting for you soon as you qualify. Big shortages evertywhere OTE £50k a year easily achieved following a basic business plan.

On a sensible note, give stevewillis training a ring.
Very good centre and only just down the road in burgess hill. use them myself for stuff and have no complaints atall.

I tell my mates to become sparkies. More of a shortage, less physically demanding, better money and lower training costs.

I agree dannypipe peaple seem to think pipes grow in block Walls

Sparks havn't got any work either:(. Just take a look on EF in the jobs thread, same story all over......"Hi I've recently re-trained as a domestic installer and am looking for work" etc etc.

In that case chaps, we're doomed!!

Wish I'd listened to my careers adviser and become a bum!

News to me that the industry is on its knees?? If your any good you'll never be out of work. Boilers dont stop breaking down because of a financial crisis!!!

You just have to make sure YOU are the man that everyone wants and is willing to wait / pay for.

50k OTE pa a wind up? No! the good engineers are on 50k plus. The good businesses.....the bosses are millionaires.

If your a plumber like everyone else you'll make a good wage.

If you are head and shoulders above everyone else then you'll make your fortune.

dont listen to people on here who wish they were earning what they say is impossible.

What you do need to listen to is what ive just said. You NEED stand out from the crowed so people WANT YOU to do there job. THIS TAKES A LONG TIME AND A CERTAIN TYPE OF PERSON!!!!!

I hear there is a shortage of private plumbing training providers in the uk at the moment , does anybody know of any private training providers training companies that can train me up to nvq level 12 so i can run my own private training company as there is a demand of people looking to retrain as plumbers at the minute so i need to keep the training demand up thankyou . p.s i am also willing to work for FREE to gain this valuble skill and perpetuate demand . Oh and if its fasttrack that is even better as the quicker i can train people the quicker i can start my own private training provider training company too so i can train people who want to run thier own private training company. Thankyou ......Oh and I am willing to travel to any private training company trainers located in the uk . ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try Nescot in Epsom. No first hand experience but was recommended by a Plumber who did his Gas there hated BTSC. I checked them out and they seem resonable so have booked in for Unvented in Sept. -

PS - Does anyone know how much a new heating element for a Megoflo would be?

thanks

News to me that the industry is on its knees?? If your any good you'll never be out of work. Boilers dont stop breaking down because of a financial crisis!!!

You just have to make sure YOU are the man that everyone wants and is willing to wait / pay for.

50k OTE pa a wind up? No! the good engineers are on 50k plus. The good businesses.....the bosses are millionaires.

If your a plumber like everyone else you'll make a good wage.

If you are head and shoulders above everyone else then you'll make your fortune.

dont listen to people on here who wish they were earning what they say is impossible.

What you do need to listen to is what ive just said. You NEED stand out from the crowed so people WANT YOU to do there job. THIS TAKES A LONG TIME AND A CERTAIN TYPE OF PERSON!!!!!

so youre saying only the best survive? i would agree and that is good isnt it? but the post was on about newbies, do they have time to buid a reputation?

Look after your customers, do an excellent job and be presentable.

Your reputation will take care of its self.

Do they have time?.......If this is what they want to do, they have no choice!

Look after your customers, do an excellent job and be presentable.

Your reputation will take care of its self.

Do they have time?.......If this is what they want to do, they have no choice!

but its a simple case of the amount of work to the amount of plumbers. you do well which is great, others can do well, but regardless of how better you become if there aint enough work to go round not everyone will do well. sqaure peg round hole tbh

I understand what your saying and do agree (ish)!

The work is there and there are pople with money. However its only the people doing the work who's phones ring that know about it.

What I'm saying is if your better than everyone else you should get a larger percentage of the apparently little work that is around.

i am thinking of re-training to earn £40k a year,
becomming an asylum seaker and breeding but your not allowed to work for it.
does anyone know of any training centres?. the nearest one i know of is dover.
and do they do a level 2?

i don't fully understand how it works. i hear that you need to work with someone with all their tickets to get your tickets and so to become a gas engineer you need to find one to give you experience - which is harder than finding someone to give you plumbing experience. if that is your prefered route, send 500 CV's out to every gast engineer in a 100 mile radius and see who says yes.

however - as i said i don't really understand how it works - i know of people who have never had work experience with anyone but have gained quals which seem to legally permit them to do combi swaps and attempt simple repairs. so if that's your route you may have any easier job.

as has been said there is of course always work. a recession just means there is less and more competition for it. so those who were lazy and incompetent struggle and those who have a talent for customer service and a business continue to work but at a slightly decreased rate.

I should qualify that by saying not onlythe lazy and incompetent struggle. The lazy and competent struggle too.

The kind that come on here and say, "There's no work. I've been sat at home watching daytime TV for the last 5 days"

Well go out and put out some flyers then!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Plumbing Advice, by Country Professional...
Replies
Views
Yeah that would be a good start lol, totally...
Replies
Views
Yes, it's difficult to get people who don't...
Replies
Views
Back