Running a boiler from a generator? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Running a boiler from a generator? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaflo-Experts

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone know if a boiler can be run from a 1000w generator?

I tried last week on a combi, but it wouldn't fire up.
If it SHOULD work, I'll try with my home boiler, as its getting cold having had power cut for the last 18 hours...

Alex ,If current go in a stabilator before feed the hous will it not work ? I remember when I was 5 my grand parents had to have them on the tv as curent was not stable and stabilisation was used to protect TVs ?

Alex ,If current go in a stabilator before feed the hous will it not work ? I remember when I was 5 my grand parents had to have them on the tv as curent was not stable and stabilisation was used to protect TVs ?

Should be grand if you do it your way stan

I used to turn off at the mains and plug the generator into a socket and switch everything off other than whats required. Not had a problem for a lot of years. But shouldnt speak too soon.

1 KW is plenty but does your genny run at 50 cycles - God i sound like a spark
here - I think there are buffers which flatten off the power CHK try sparky land

If it SHOULD work, I'll try with my home boiler, as its getting cold having had power cut for the last 18 hours...

1 Kv generator should be more than adequate but make sure heating controls are also energised.
Apologies in advance for stating the obvious.

I would have thought that 1 Kw would be enough but bear in mind that if motors (e.g. pumps) are involved, they take a lot of current to start them but once running, the current consumption goes down to the rated level. Did you measure the voltage whilst the generator was running and connected?

I would have thought that 1 Kw would be enough but bear in mind that if motors (e.g. pumps) are involved, they take a lot of current to start them but once running, the current consumption goes down to the rated level. Did you measure the voltage whilst the generator was running and connected?
no more than 3 amps on a standard boiler!!

we did it all the time in vacant council houses so we could commision and test,it does work but as said on here it can be risky.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I did wonder about how 'clean' the AC frequency would be, and whether it would affect the PCB or fan speed. It runs a computer without any problems, and the cpu's are a fairly sensitive!

Anyway, the power is finally back on after 25hrs, and just in time for Christmas, so I won't risk upsetting the boiler for now!

Thanks again, and have a great Christmas.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I did wonder about how 'clean' the AC frequency would be, and whether it would affect the PCB or fan speed. It runs a computer without any problems, and the cpu's are a fairly sensitive!

Anyway, the power is finally back on after 25hrs, and just in time for Christmas, so I won't risk upsetting the boiler for now!

Thanks again, and have a great Christmas.

Ahh cpus dont like spikes in voltage, but gradual up and down doesnt matter too much, it just reduces its processing power or effectively over clocks it.

some mother boards dont like it but i found it was usually the msi manufactured ones and their re brands.
everyone elses are more robust.

i think boiler pcbs in my view arn't all that well made, they really dont like the smallest change.
they should take a leaf out of the mother board manufacturers books.

a couple of quid more in materials and they would be far far more reliable.

a pure sign wave genny/invertor should work fine, a normal genny wont run one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If i turn the temperature dial right down on...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, I have a viessmann vitoden 100 w...
Replies
Views
Abbie S
A
Are you in a hard water area? Limescale in...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
I'm sorry it's been difficult reading. Is this...
Replies
Views
Back