scope of work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss scope of work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
you hear/see alot of plumbing heating companies advertising they do this and that on vans/papers and mags etc but had to have a chuckle today when i went out for a jog this afternoon and ran past a bathroom company with 3 vans outside doing someones front garden !!!

Must put note to self to advertise gardening under plumbing & heating on my van!!

More like a gardening company advertising that they do bathrooms, everybody else does.

Will not be long before every other person in the UK has a piece of paper to say they are a qualified plumber

The problem is, after somebody said you can make £60,000 a year Plumbing everybody wants to get in it. When I was young Plumbers were regarded very much as the bottom of the heap and people thought you were perhaps a bit intellectually challenged if you where one. In other words becoming a Plumber was a poor consolation prize, to be taken up if you could find nothing else to do. In reality it was highly skilled and covered a large range of work from central heating, gas fitting,drainage, roofing and a lot more.

I must admit the work perhaps required more physical skill than it does now in many areas. Being able to bos up a lead corner is not something you can learn fully out of a book, you have to be able to physically do it. I did plenty but was not a natural lead worker by any means or in point very good at it. It seemed some guys could bos them up while reading the paper smoking a ***. It's just that some people appeared gifted like that. Wiping or sweating a lead joint was another area. These in a way I suppose are "arts" or "crafts".
A bit like plastering, the technicality of rendering and skimming may be easy to understand, but doing it to a high standard of finish is not usually so easy. Its a tactile skill.

I often wonder if there would be so many Plumbers today if those old skills where required again? I wonder what they would do if on every job they needed the old "Buzzer" pot and ladle. I suppose there might be plenty of work for the hospitals.

Today Plumbing seems more about technicality than physically dexterity. Don't get me wrong I was probably a better modern type of Plumber than I was the old type. But I worked as one of the old type in my younger years. And I met plenty of Plumbers who could knock me into a cocked hat at it.

A plumber's van here raises a chuckle as it has written on the side of it in big bold letters; " 231/2 hours call out service". Don't have a clue what he does with his spare half hour!

The reason it says 23.5 hr a day call out a day on his van is becos a custard phoned him up to do a job in the middle of the night and he refused to come out. The custard complained to trading standards etc for false advertising blah blah to and caused him alot of grief over it

A plumber's van here raises a chuckle as it has written on the side of it in big bold letters; " 231/2 hours call out service". Don't have a clue what he does with his spare half hour!

That 1/2 hr a day is for a shi ite, shower, shave, shampoo and a shag (if he's lucky).

Was offered work in Cornwall many moons ago whilst down there on holiday thought about it until I saw a van with "Plumbing Heating and Carpet Fitting " on the side of the van kind of put me off regards turnpin:D

you must have visited the one street in the westmidlands that still had street lights to think anybody had money?

it was an unloaded air rifle, i weighed in the lead pellets at the tat yard to buy a bacon sanga. with brown sauce.

I wonder what they would do if on every job they needed the old "Buzzer" pot and ladle. I suppose there might be plenty of work for the hospitals.

My tradesman had some braw scarring on his left foot (he was left handed) due to the lead pot. When he was a boy it was his job to get the lead to the men and they were always shouting for it. He was running over the site with the pot on the hook of a ladle (nothing like todays sites) and tripped over some rubble. The pot tipped some molten lead down his boot with followed by a lot of screaming and the usual expletives and an (unpaid) afternoon in A & E :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a local van that advertises plumbing and heating, mobile hairdresser and mobile disc jockey.

Interesting business model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for this summary advice ... I have...
Replies
Views
G
True, when something happens to your plumbing...
Replies
Views
N
No blockage in soil pipe? Was he a plumber or...
Replies
Views
I'm a bit lost with this but to confirm it's...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Back