Scrap Price for Copper? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Scrap Price for Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding waste carriers licence refer to your local authority website. round here (bolton) waste carriers licence is required for anything taken to the tip. so you can forget about turning up in a signwritten van expecting to dump mrs smiths old bathroom suite.

but as far as i can interpret the red tape ,scrap metal doesn't count if it is not handled by the local authority. it is simply another private business transaction for which you should declare to the tax man.

currently 2 quid a kg for brass and 4 quid for brazery copper or thereabouts.

i remove my valves but i'm noit fussy about taking nuts off the pipe, it adds to the weight and the copper is better priced. my scrappy doesnt bother checking what i haul in in sacks ;0)

KJ

just done a run down to scrappy.
one qouted me 80p a kilo (stainless) £4.00 a kilo clean copper
took it to my normal on £1.50 a kilo, and £5.00
shop around is always best

You don't need a licence to weigh scrap copper in, apart from a driving licence that is to get there that is. Make sure you sort it out first. Cut all your fitting out off the pipework and bag separably. This will be classed as brazerey (pardon the spelling). Next put all your pieces of copper with the fittings removed in a second bag, this is clean copper. If you have any brass fittings or taps ect, bag this in a third as this is classed as brass. As for your cylinder spend a bit of time on it and strip the connections out of it, remove coil (if has one). This way the cylinder is now classed as clean and you get more for it. Step four take it all down to your local scrappy. Ask about and see who pays the best, other plumbers normally know. Step five don't tell the misses how much you got, go down to the local boozer and enjoy.
The time it takes to mess about sorting scrap could be spent working and earning a decent wage so you don`t have to bother

used to be a headache gettin rid of old rads and boilers . not now , leave them outside the job for half an hour these days and they re off.

have you ever seen a pikey trying to remove a set of taps from a stainless steel sink top ? heard loud banging coming from outside a job , went to the window, there he was with his pick up at the side of the skip , battering the living daylights out of the sink top with a claw hammer , not sure what he was trying to do really. you would have had to see it to believe it.

£2 kg brass , £4.25 copper here .

I have a load of metal too and I was thinking of letting the rag and bone types just "take it"

But I will now bung it in the van and take it to the scrappy.

Dsc_0448SMALL.jpg

I have a load of metal too and I was thinking of letting the rag and bone types just "take it"

But I will now bung it in the van and take it to the scrappy.

Dsc_0448SMALL.jpg

looking at that lot richard i would stick with your former plan.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367860172.776489.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367860203.747493.jpg

Scrap run planned for tomorrow, get it in the neck when I overspill from the garage

Something wrong with some of the scrappies on here i took mine to emr the other day

2x cylinders £30 each
59kg of brass at 2400 per mt
39kg of copper at 3500 per mt came to total of £338

As for a waste license no thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I get a fiver for it (better me having it than the gypies) ???

Whats wrong with 3.50 a kg for copper??? Yes they have been a bit higher but they have been a lot lower too...

Its not like you have to work for it :)

Thursday lastweek I was getting 3700 for coper and 3200 for brazery soon adds up I take 2 or 3 rhino buckets in when I go and regulary come out with 150 200 pound ish I have had a waste carries licence in the past but now adays I turn up in the family car and play the old oh I have renewed the heating at hiome if the council come around

I'm just bumping this thread for no particular reason. If it isn't a current topic, don't worry about it, just ignore it and it'll move off the forum list before long. If it is a topic you'd like to reply to though, go ahead. :)

My scrappy says the price is starting to shoot up since brexit given the pounds falling value against the dollar

thats good as i got two indirect cylinders and about 75kg of copper to scrap :rockon2:

copper is up brass is down

Is it true copper is up? I've been sat in mine for about a year waiting for it to ,
Be probably got over 150kgs of brass aswell so I will
Have a ring around

I took mine in yesterday. 2.90 copper tube clean, 2.41 for brazier, 2.00 for brass and 1.00 for lead. Walked out 500 quid. Luvly jubbly

My scrappy says the price is starting to shoot up since brexit given the pounds falling value against the dollar

Your scrappy is correct.

The price of new copper has risen anyway, even in dollar terms, from a recent low of about $4600/tonne to about $4913/tonne at close of the markets tonight. That rise of just under 7% is not remarkable - the market often swings by that amount, and as recently as March 16 and May 16, the dollar price occasionally went over $5000/tonne.

However, if you factor in the approx devaluation of the pound against the dollar, post Brexit, then you have another 8% to 10% increase in the sterling price, as you need more sterling to buy a dollars worth of copper. Put the two together, and you are in the high teens in terms of a % price change.

Although the correlation is far from exact in the short term, in the long term the scrap price will shadow the price of newly mined, raw copper. Scrap can never rise above the price of new, otherwise the mining and smelting companies would simply take their virgin production straight to the scrappie, which is clearly nonsense.

So expect a better price at the scrappie. The downside, of course, if that you should also expect a higher price at the merchant. You can't have it both ways!

:)

And that is what I don't get when people complain scrap is low it's costing less to by in the first place soon complain when it becomes expensive to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I don't bother taking foam off. My scrap yard...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Why is it outside? It will freeze and the...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
I believe he's talking about using plastic for...
Replies
Views
A
Where are you reading that the installer is...
Replies
Views
Back