Scratching my head here with this. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Scratching my head here with this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

What I would do is 240 L-N and 240 L-E if that's good then turn power of check for continuity across thermostat (or overheat stat as sometimes seperate)

If all of those are ok then faulty immersion.

My guess is the stat as they are shocking.

As above wire it to a plug, plug in to a known good supply with extension lead, see if it works, then wire the stat in see if it still works. Then report back
Centralheatking

As chalked said above, check to see if the immersion heater has an overheat thermostat. This is an additional thermostat beyond the one you can use to set the temperature. The overheat thermostat will trip if the temperature goes too high (85 + degrees) and does NOT reset itself. You have to push in a button, often through a small hole, to reset it.

Hmm, I thought this was a plumbing forum. So the question is how far are you qualified to discuss these electrical issues?

I had a supposedly qualified plumber testing electrical connections, on a system he installed, and couldn’t get to work, by touching them together and see if they sparked. I forcibly pushed him Out of the house.

His employing company paid for someone qualified to rip out all his electrics and start from scratch.

They also redid a lot of his plumbing.

Qualified enough to do all the wiring that is connected to the boiler! How about you?
Hmm, never said I was, didn’t do it myself, but thought sparking mains wires together, by a supposed professional, to check continuity was not a proper way of doing it!

I was merely saying this is a plumbing, not electrical forum. There are certain secrets that this forum will not discuss with the unqualified, un registered. But hey, ho we discuss electrics.

I thought this might cause a bit of angst.

Nope all good. Gas is regulated a lot more. Also, I know you didn’t say you was. That is why I asked:p

Never really thought about gas being more regulated than electrics. But I suppose the DIYer can’t legitimately connect anything gas, but could do something electric.

So are plumbing and electrical work have similar levels of restriction on who can do what?

Plumbing - water regulations but not really tha5 regulated (not heard of many prosecutions)

Wiring regulations - not actually enforceable by law

Gas regulations - enforceable by law

(I think :confused:)

Interesting on the level of enforceability

Not been involved in house purchase for 35 years till my daughter looked at it. It seems solicitors have no concern what’s done.

A friend had building work done and the firm employed took control of everything. But there were no certificates for the electrics. So the solicitors got them to take out indemnity insurance against any claims due to faulty electrics. So if someone got killed they would be covered!

I don’t know if this was easier / cheaper than getting the electrics tested. Seems immoral to me. So would a solicitor be concerned if there were no certificates for gaswork they suspected / knew had been done.

IIRC, the only legal gas document is a landlord gas safety certificate. Everything else is considered good or best practice. I wouldn’t know who’s responsibility it is to prove work they had done was legal.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
  • Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They are easy to find by Googling once you...
Replies
Views
If this is your model, some of your questions...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Stnd wrong pump for a high pressure shower...
Replies
Views
Back