Sealed System Install - Take 2 | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sealed System Install - Take 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here Tamz I was on to Vaillant last month and they said not to put the stuff near a combi as it blocks up the plate to plate heat exchanger don't know if this is true as I've never heard of it.
Heres a number for you I used them once to detect a leak its covered by house insurance but if its not its £750 charge. They drain the system pump it full of some sort of gas and it shows up on there sniffers its a last resort 01480442327 there nation wide I think there called munsters or polygon I'm not sure. Also thats there london price I'm sure there different elsewhere

The waterways on giannoni's (hex) are very small and are already prone to blockage but i can't see how a microscopic film would effect them too much Any excuse as usual!

Thanks for the link Tamz, may yet be useful to me. I've already tried 2x bottles of Fernox Leak Sealer. This worked for a few days and then the leak started again. I'm not too keen to pour any more in to be fair.

I went to the job this afternoon and checked the heat exchanger. It's a clear condensate trap and there are no signs of anything leaking through the trap - even with the pressure up to 2.5 bar. It goes straight out the wall and down to an outside drain anyway though, no sign of it leaking there either.

I've isolated the boiler for 4 hours and we will at least be able to narrow it down to the boiler (don't think it is) or the pipework and go from there.

Last edited:
Ok, went back and the boiler has lost 0.2 bars of pressure in the 4 hour period. Given that I topped the system up from 1.5 bars to 2.5 bars before I isolated the boiler, could this loss just be down to air in the new water or is it likely to be a leak inside the boiler somewhere? I'm starting to think it's a leak from the central heating pipework to the hot water pipework, could that be possible?

There is no visible leak from the condensate trap or PRV as I said before. There's also no water in the base of the boiler but yet it's loosing pressure.

Ok, went back and the boiler has lost 0.2 bars of pressure in the 4 hour period. Given that I topped the system up from 1.5 bars to 2.5 bars before I isolated the boiler, could this loss just be down to air in the new water or is it likely to be a leak inside the boiler somewhere? I'm starting to think it's a leak from the central heating pipework to the hot water pipework, could that be possible?

There is no visible leak from the condensate trap or PRV as I said before. There's also no water in the base of the boiler but yet it's loosing pressure.

The only way it'd leak to hot water would be if the pressure C/Heating side was greater than presure cold mains side yeh?

0.2bar with such a small quantity of water could be pretty small!

Here Tamz I was on to Vaillant last month and they said not to put the stuff near a combi as it blocks up the plate to plate heat exchanger don't know if this is true as I've never heard of it.

Bosch said the exact same to me and would instantly invalidate warranty etc. Put me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
That’s up to you, but might be all a plumber...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have you got any updates on this?
Replies
Views
Back