Self employment | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Gizmo.man
  • Start date
  • Replies 79
  • Views 7K

Discuss Self employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gizmo.man

I really want to go self employed As a plumber
But don't know where to start or look. Where to advertise

I take it you're employed as a plumber atm, so its probably worth putting the hours in and working self employed in your spare time (weekends, evenings etc) It'll be hard work but while doing that you build a customer base of your own, get a name for yourself as a one man band and get some secure earnings as well.

Contact your local Business Gateway and they will help you with everything. They run free business courses and offer free ongoing help and advice to your business.

i would advertise in local rags and internet find a tradesman and so on get contract work with letting agents and word of mouth is good if your a honest trades man who does a top job as people always remember the bad plumbers and starting out is hard work but hope it goes well for you

Contact your local Business Gateway and they will help you with everything. They run free business courses and offer free ongoing help and advice to your business.

just checked and the one coming up is scotland??? or am i looking in the wrong place?

google them adding your area to the search should come up then

Thanks for your reply. I have been working alongside
A gas man for 3 years and he's packed me in
And I have decent enought experience and
Confidence just don't know where to start
Or the know how. In considering yellow pages
To advertise.

In Scotland it is known as the Business Gateway and they have offices all over Scotland helping businesses to get started and funded. It is a superb organisation.

In England it is known as Business Link, I don't know much about them or if they have offices and are as widespread as our own version but go and have a look. The website is here:
Business support, information and advice | Business Link

Then why bother replying? Why bother even being
On a forum? And as for luck I don't need yours. And if I did need luck
Believe me I wouldn't want it off u!

Thank you for all positive replies. Help is always
Appreciated.

believe us when we say there are dozens of people wanting work/placements/unpaid experience every month. just do a search on the forums. there isn't the work around at the moment.

Yeah suppose there isn't enough work around. I've been looking for a year or so
But I think for now I'm better off on HGVs. Nothing much out there at the min
And I hate call centre/office desk jobs. Only reason I went or plumbing is because I love
Working with my hands.

if thats your attatude to people who,ve been there and done it then carnt wait for a few months down the line when your skint and moaning on here theres no work and youre in peoples houses getting grief will you be as ignorant to them dont think you will last long

this works for me

yellow pages
yell.com
my own website
parish magazines

as well as working with your hands do you like

bookeeping
doing your accounts
preparing quotes
invoices
chasing non paying customers
marketing
maintaining your customer database
lots of lovely paperwork

as has been said there is not much work around (apart from paperwork) and judging by the news its only going to get more difficult

I am familiar with all that paperwork and chasing around non payments
And I'm not looking to make mega £££s
Just something little extra to keep afloat really.
I know things are bad out there.

That aint the way to get good advice remember when u wanna come back and start asking questions people may well remember your attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Jamaica I’m in, upon Thames - not so interested…
Replies
Views
A
Small family business based in Kent, looking...
Replies
Views
Id say recal at that price....as soon as it...
Replies
Views
Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
Back