Self employment | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Gizmo.man
  • Start date
  • Replies 79
  • Views 7K

Discuss Self employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't think he even bothered looking into it for
Me, I thought I could trust him enough to sort
It for me, you stay loyal to someone and
This is how you get treated. I was on £20 a day
11 hrs a day over 5 days. I have been terribly
Ripped off.

well i take my hat off to you mate for sticking it out ,were do you live, doing the acs is dear tho around £3500 then the gas safe afterwards which is probs why he never done it for you i would have put ye in college for a day or too a week and and still paid ye that so can understand your attitude to a point

I'm not easily put off. Believe me, even if it's a £10 job and turns
Into a nightmare end of day it's a trade and a job, anything to learn and gain
Good experience. I will eventually become gas safe registered as I've roughly 5 years worth of experience I know it may not seem a lot but it's better than nothing. I'm prepared to give it a go and my best shot at it. And if it fails on me well at least I have
A HGV license to fall back on.

Well the ACS and central heating with cooler and gas fire
Been quoted roughly £1295. I even put my own gas fire in
And did a pretty decent job. As I mentioned I'm good with my hands
And it's best to stick to something one is generally good at doing. I can't see myself working in an office block behind a desk. Just like to stick to a proper mans job
Despite the cons. Eventually patience does pay off.

I even put my own gas fire in
And did a pretty decent job.

Did you do the proper checks on flue flow and spillage, gas rates etc? Is the fire installed in accordance with BS5871?
You don't know as you have never did the proper training. Because it lights don't mean it works safely!

You seem keen enough to get on so more power to your efforts. It won't be easy but can be done with a bit hard work and good luck.

Yes indeed flow and spillage done and shows
The correct colour of flame. And doesn't exceed 4.2 - 6kw of nominal power.
Also has been signed off and photo shoot done whilst I installed the
Complete gas fire.

HGV driving is hard work. It's tiring and very demanding
I have an ADR certificate also but as I am a fairly new driver
Most company's won't insure me due toy age which is a shame.

when you did smoke test did you have all lights off in the room and the fun extractor in kitchen on

Boy - am I glad I only do oil ...

Smoke test.
FGA test.
Smoke test.

Then the French version of "Work, damn you!"

HGV driving is hard work. It's tiring and very demanding
I have an ADR certificate also but as I am a fairly new driver
Most company's won't insure me due toy age which is a shame.

I'm sure most people here would argue that plumbing/gas is hard work, tiring and demanding.

So if your looking for an easy life, your in for a surprise.

So you wanted to be a HGV driver, but after completing the training you decided it wasn't for you.
Could you be making the same mistake again?

All I can say is think about your next move carefully and make the right decision.

I wouldn't recommend anyone starting out now in this trade, as I don't think there is much of a future in it, well one that pays well anyway.

All I can say is that i enjoy plumbing very much and as for driving HGV
It's cool but can be mundane. I do enjoy driving too but not as much as plumbing.
I've done it for the sake if security and I'm sure every man wants to be secure. I've been plumbing since 17 years of age and 22 now and I know I have a fair bit to learn however I personally don't think I'm doing too bad at all as I do learn by the day.

All I can say is that i enjoy plumbing very much and as for driving HGV
It's cool but can be mundane. I do enjoy driving too but not as much as plumbing.
I've done it for the sake if security and I'm sure every man wants to be secure. I've been plumbing since 17 years of age and 22 now and I know I have a fair bit to learn however I personally don't think I'm doing too bad at all as I do learn by the day.
I wish you get there Gizmo as if you really have the drive you will one day never stop learning .
If every one of us learn something every day ,we all can call this day a very great day !

Why don't you print a 100 or so leaflets and deliver them locally?

You might not get any response or at best 3-4 enquiries. If you get a job, this will pay for the print out, then you can print some more and deliver these.

It's about the cheapest way to get going but it's hard work.

Also, PLEASE, don't do gas unless you're GasSafe registered!!! It just isn't worth the risk, either for you or for your customers. Many of us here are not GasSafe registered and there's plenty of work that's not gas related. Unfortunately, there are also plenty of plumbers chasing for this work too! Hence the responses earlier on.

Well the ACS and central heating with cooler and gas fire
Been quoted roughly £1295. I even put my own gas fire in
And did a pretty decent job. As I mentioned I'm good with my hands
And it's best to stick to something one is generally good at doing. I can't see myself working in an office block behind a desk. Just like to stick to a proper mans job
Despite the cons. Eventually patience does pay off.

nah its more than £1295 might be that to resit in some places but defo around £3000 plus to do full acs

Yes I totally agree but I would never do gas work
For customers until I'm registered Ive done it only for myself
And had a competent person check my work over as mentioned in the thread.
I wouldnt do it illegally.

Legislation is there for a good reason.

If every one of us learn something every day ,we all can call this day a very great day !

Well Stan i can honestly say i have not learned anything new today but it did confirm what i already knew.........doing gutters in the snow is not worth the money.
Today has been a bad day. Maybe i should have risk assessed it before i started and would have known my white finger(s) would be giving me major gyp

that is it : a lesson 1 Tom ,

always do your risk assessment

lesson 2 clean gutters at the end of summer :)

The thing is Stan it was for someone i know. Repairs that were needing done since the summer but i kept putting it off. They have been on the phone about 6 times in the past 2 weeks so finished my planned stuff about 1 and thought i'd get that out the way too. It was a cold one :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Jamaica I’m in, upon Thames - not so interested…
Replies
Views
A
Small family business based in Kent, looking...
Replies
Views
Id say recal at that price....as soon as it...
Replies
Views
Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
Back