service engineer £30-32k | Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss service engineer £30-32k in the Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kirkgas

right im not naming the contractor yet, but ive been told by a contractor (trying to impress on s how good they are, thats for another day) that they are trying to employ 20 engineers in the glasgow/west of scotland area, on £30-32k pa, but they cant get anyone, now i just think that is dodgy, ok im not sure who wants to work for £32k pa but im sure there would be plenty of interest, ok you have to do a one week induction/training thing but he is saying they just cant get the quality coming forward, surely it must be something caused by the amount of work they want done per day etc
just wondering what other guys think

32k is good money but for that money they will not want the dross which there is plenty of going around. They will want guys who know what they are doing and no recalls.
There is a big difference between employing someone and employing someone good :wink:

Tam I agree, and I know there are loads of people who are qualified and not very good (and not ALL taught by me before anyone says it) but there are loads of VERY good guys about who aren't earning £32k so why are they not queuing up for the job? There must be a reason why they don't take up the offer, they say cause they can't get the right guys but I bet it's more to do with the T&C'S and workload

Probably is a bit to do with the workload Kirk. What kind of work is it? The work is usually priced so tight the guys doing the job have to work like f to make a half decent wage.

6 service /repairs a day @ a score a throw would give you 30K. Fine if they are all in the same street but they never are.

Last edited by a moderator:
you wouldnt get a score a service think bg were paying 18quid and thats subbing , on cards for a firm they want ten a day minimumfor 120 a day more if they are all together in estates

if you think about this kirk, 32k less tax is roughly 25k or £500/ week
a good self employed breakdown engineer could easily earn £500 doing only 8 call-outs per week ie 8 x £65,
you would only have to do say a dozen call-outs per week, ie an extra 4 jobs to cover overheads etc, to earn the same money that there offering.
it's easy to see why there's no takers.

I don't agree johny, in this day and age with the cut backs £32k is worth going for by some guys, there are plenty working for a good bit less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't agree johny, in this day and age with the cut backs £32k is worth going for by some guys, there are plenty working for a good bit less

i agree kirk. Without sounding like a big head I earn far more than that per annum, but I'm a contractor. If someone offered me a job at 32k on the cards I'd seriously have to consider it. But with being employed again comes all the **** again, offices that ain't gotta clue, call outs and all the rubbish that comes with it.
But still 32k a year with no outgoings of your own would be a head turner to me.

It wouldn't do it for me either,, i would want about £45k a year for me to seriously consider going on the books . when i do social housing works the guys earn mid 30's but are constantly moaning about call outs, office staff,trackers and so on and so on . You are literally a wage slave and being on the books is so un appealing for me these days .

C'mon hammer £45k on the books, seriously how many hrs would an employee have to work for that
Everyone is always moaning how little they get and I bet there are plenty on here who don't get near that as SE never mind employee
I'm lucky I work part time cause I want to and can afford it as we have a property development business and my don runs a million web sites do we are fine for money but plenty aren't
PS I'm going to London next week to pick up my sons Lambo to use it for a few weeks before it goes back to him in Portugal :)

I'm self employed tho so to tempt me in my own personal circumstances £45k would tempt me

I'm self employed tho so to tempt me in my own personal circumstances £45k would tempt me

45 would tempt a lot of people mate. What are the chances of getting that on the books though? I've never seen a job advertised for that much. Money is the only thing that would tempt me out of being self employed though. You'd give up a lot working for someone again. I don't think I really could go back on the cards to be fair, to much to give up being SE.

I suppose it depends what you feel you are worth as an individual, I am on the books for a social housing firm on 25k a year basic but I am more than happy with that as I am still learning this fine trade, I am also lucky as I have a 5 figure Army pension coming in every year which bumps me up nicely.

I personally would not go SE, the tracker does not bother me as I only go where I am meant to anyway, I work 9-5 any later and its £40 a call out plus time and half and I dont have to worry if I have work coming in next month. Horses for courses I guess. I would not take £32 a year if the company has a bad rep.

I have found most firms offering £30K+ want decent engineers who are few and far between as most decent engineers work for themselves (at least around me that seems to be the case). If it was around me I would go for it straight away but I would refuse point blank to work funny shift patterns and loads of weekends.

As for working for a company I like the fact I can go home at night and switch off from my job, The tracker doesnt bother me as they never use it on me because I always do the work given to me and more, I like dealing with the girls in the office as it gives me someone to talk to during the day because you cant talk to custards properley you always have to watch what you say, You cant know everything and the chances what you dont somebody else in the company will know>

I dont like the fact as good engineers are hard to find I find myself chasing idiots around and constantly taking unneeded parts back to the supplier and having to lie to the custard to cover their rears then having to put myself out to keep the custard happy, I dont like the fact I earn my boss around £400 a day and I earn around £110 a day (but going back to the fact that I can switch off at night I can live with that) The amount of days off is carp id like another 5 at least.

I have worked for myself wasnt overly keen on it but I wasnt anywhere near the level I am now but at the present I have no intentions of trying it again.

there is a job permanently advertised by me for experienced service,repair engineer and that pays 32k per year ,plus loads of extras,i phoned it and he told me to send cv in ,i never did, and city tech always looking pay similar rate.

I dont think there is any merit in working on a piece rate arrangement. You are either employed and paid, or you arent. Who wants to run round like a lunatic ,cutting corners to make a living wage? I always want to have the space and time to do the job properly,safely and to hopefully avoid a call back. The trouble with this job is that there are those who are seeking to dilute the gene pool of Engineers by flooding it with young hopefulls some of whom are hopeless.

As villa_tom I am also a contractor and recently looked at going on the books for that money with a Glasgow company.
After was offered the job, was informed this salary was inclusive of standby/weekend shifts, so did not look so attractive after all.
Another out of work engineer I know started with same company a few weeks ago and he has hardly been home before 9pm since. They are constantly badgering you you do additional work after your shift and constantly monitor the vans trackers.

As villa_tom I am also a contractor and recently looked at going on the books for that money with a Glasgow company.
After was offered the job, was informed this salary was inclusive of standby/weekend shifts, so did not look so attractive after all.
Another out of work engineer I know started with same company a few weeks ago and he has hardly been home before 9pm since. They are constantly badgering you you do additional work after your shift and constantly monitor the vans trackers.

payments tend to be sneakily added into these contracts, you think 32k plus call outs etc but then you find out its included. When I first started out on the books after my apprenticeship I was on 27k plus call outs on top I easily earnt over 32k will all my add ons. Now they seem to offer you more basic salary and sting you once your on the books again.

I know a few lads on the books at various firms, and they are never back before 7 and have to do weekends and call outs on top of that.

Ill stick the way I am till something amazing comes along.

I cant see any logic in going back on the books these days , when it comes to the crunch your just a number and easily off loaded as anyone and when you are offloaded you enter the rat race of looking for decent job.i dont know any gas engineers down the merchants that are content in the work they do .

I cant see any logic in going back on the books these days , when it comes to the crunch your just a number and easily off loaded as anyone and when you are offloaded you enter the rat race of looking for decent job.i dont know any gas engineers down the merchants that are content in the work they do .

I couldn't agree more. The only happy people I see when I go the merchants are the self employed or people who work for smaller family run firms. The blokes who work for the larger firms just whine, and I don't blame them really, I've been there done that and got the t shirt.

The employed folk seem to be rushed off their feet and get given stupid jobs late in the day. The last time I was in the merchants I was chatting to a bloke picking up two rads that had to fit that day, and this was at half four. I'd popped in for a can of coal paint and a coffee. I got in the van and had a little smile to myself. I'm glad I don't have to put up with that stuff anymore.

I like the way I work being a contractor and subbing from place to place, ok sometimes I have to work late because the office cocks up but it's few and far between, but at the end of the day when the office call and ask me to do a late job at least I have the choice to say no. I never do as I like my job and I've been looked after at the few places I've contracted, but my point is that it doesn't happen everyday and if it does its my choice weather I do or not.

One of the best things I've seen happen when I worked on the books was that the office staff came out with an engineer to see what we did and the engineers spent a day in the office seeing what they did. There was a new found respect between the the two parties and work was a lot better from them on, then six weeks later we lost our jobs but a happy medium can be found. A lot of office staff thing we just sit in the van all day reading the paper and taking the preverbial and a lot of us think that office staff are just pen pushers who sit behind a desk all day drinking coffee and Internet shopping.

I personally think that every engineer should have his or her own gas safe registration and work off that and maybe all be self employed in this game. I think it would eliminate a lot of dodgy work and wages would increase that way.

The thing is with work at the moment is there is a lot of people chasing not many jobs and companies know this and will take the Micky to get staff at Lower rates and conditions. I saw a job advertised in Birmingham the other day that was PAYE and 17k a year service only but you had to have your own van and pay your own fuel.
If anyone takes this job they don't deserve any respect in my opinion and don't know how to play the game. I could earn 17k contracting round here in 5/6 months and still have to pay my own fuel and van costs then have six months at home sitting doing nothing and still earn what the other job pays in a year. But the sad fact is someone will take this job and sit there getting raped everyday for a salary I could earn in tescos.

But at the end o the day people have to eat and will do what they have to to get by, I personally happy the way I'm working and know that if there was no contracting work about, I could easily earn in 8 months what I'd earn on the cards so ill take my chances. I know id rather work 8 months for 32k than work 12 months for it, and have to do call outs and evenings and weekends.

I have given some thought into go back on the cards, but then I think WHY? I think being self employed shows you another side to working life and I think once you've done it there's no going back, but I'm happy and ultimately that's what matters. I know the risks associated with self employment, but I'm a betting man and ill take my chances.

I have found most firms offering £30K+ want decent engineers who are few and far between as most decent engineers work for themselves (at least around me that seems to be the case). If it was around me I would go for it straight away but I would refuse point blank to work funny shift patterns and loads of weekends.

As for working for a company I like the fact I can go home at night and switch off from my job, The tracker doesnt bother me as they never use it on me because I always do the work given to me and more, I like dealing with the girls in the office as it gives me someone to talk to during the day because you cant talk to custards properley you always have to watch what you say, You cant know everything and the chances what you dont somebody else in the company will know>

I dont like the fact as good engineers are hard to find I find myself chasing idiots around and constantly taking unneeded parts back to the supplier and having to lie to the custard to cover their rears then having to put myself out to keep the custard happy, I dont like the fact I earn my boss around £400 a day and I earn around £110 a day (but going back to the fact that I can switch off at night I can live with that) The amount of days off is carp id like another 5 at least.

I have worked for myself wasnt overly keen on it but I wasnt anywhere near the level I am now but at the present I have no intentions of trying it again.

if you are making your boss four times what you are making a day why on earth would you not go SE?

p.s. is it mainly breakdowns you do? Im looking to try to gain more competence at breakdowns but the company i work for doesnt do that type of work. Is there any other way of getting into breakdowns other than serving an apprenticeship as a service/repair engineer? i served my time as a commercial pipefitter, am now domestic gs registered, have been on a few fault finding courses but still can not really diagnose a boiler fault on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I am currently in the forces...
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
M
Based on the information in post #1, my guess...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You might find it just needs a bit of use
Replies
Views
Back