Servicing back boilers | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Servicing back boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont change them as a routine no more that i would change ignition probes on a baxi what seem prone to warping.
I dont think its an experience thing, but if it works for you and you have costed for it then fine. Of course if something gets busted or stripped and they say it was bloody fine before you touched it lol

fires don't tend to get used as much if you think about it... so not so much of an issue, customer wont winge and shout if the fire is out as the heating still works lol....

But they get changed if they look worn at all, after all I am doing the job to earn a living, not save customers money.

I asked this question before as im not a service guy and chris from buckie said "clean em light em and smoke em" and that sort of sticks with me

On a bbu, you must remove the burner to clean. So it's an easy thermocouple swap. Just ask the customer if they want it replacing while your in there. For an extra cost.

Did a Baxi BBU 552 the other day. The fire needed a new thermocouple as pilot wouldn't stay lit, universal ones wouldn't fit so got part number and ordered one £30 plus VAT!!!

Did a Baxi BBU 552 the other day. The fire needed a new thermocouple as pilot wouldn't stay lit, universal ones wouldn't fit so got part number and ordered one £30 plus VAT!!!

I've always used universal thermos, not found a 552 that they wouldn't fit

Lost count on how meny BBUs I've done over the years, and always replaced the T/Couple on boiler unit, for the sake of a fiver, leave it and you can bet you will be back in a couple of weeks. any boiler I do that has a T/C and it gets replaced

I find baxi back boilers ok it's the glowworm ones that catch me out. Removed a back boiler last year on a conversion no idea what make it was but tried to strip as doing a service for future reference but couldn't get it apart

well having been caught out on that theory too many times, my advice to a person doing a bbu is to change the thermocouple everytime, saves call backs and bad tempered customers, you can take the advice if you like or save a couple of quid and be popping back at weekends. if you can ell when a thermocouple is going to survive another 12 months, good on yer, me I can't, so I try and save on some hassle when they fail.

this argument always pops up, all the old boys I know swap, younger folk tend not to, must be something in experience showing out there.
yes,experience tells you if its knackered by looking at the tip,generally a OE Honeywell will give 10 years plus service and before you start arguing with me lame i cut my teeth on bbu,s 22 years ago ,though what i will say is a after market chepie,commonly the £2.50 ones will die quicker

Last edited by a moderator:
Massood ............... ventilation,spillage,builders opening no holes etc,marble if fitted sealed to opening,all pipes taped,debris plate fitted and sealed,check for secondary flue action,inspect in loft with flue flow and bedrooms,especially important if the chimneys gone and a twin wall set up has been used,check for correct connector to liner if so,spillage test boiler then boiler and fire,this will confirm liners not been crushed,also spillage with any extractors running if fitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
I do two services stnd and a 5 yearly strip...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
B
I used to disconnect and drill them. The last...
Replies
Views
Back