Shortage of Skilled Leadworkers | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shortage of Skilled Leadworkers in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

It's a great shame that the lead trade is reducing. too many roofing companies think they can wack it in. Proper lead working is an absolute art. Bossing a corner without thinning the lead, proper cleating, roof profiles and finishing. Patination oil? Ereskin felt?

I felt er skin last night and got a knee in my groin:(

I can't do leadwork to save my life. I borrowed someone else's piece to get my college portfolio signed off!!

I remember a few in college struggling to get their lead work signed off but I wasn't going to let them use my hard-earned work. I mangled my stuff after getting it signed off and threw it in the bin.

The link don't work on my phone, what site is it from keefy?

InstallerOnline.co.uk matey.

That's a real shame. I loved the lead work module during my City & Guilds. At one pint I even thought about stopping the plumbing and doing the full leadwork C&G. It's a really good feeling crafting something like that..

I enjoyed doing the lead and took to it quite quickly, lead burning took me a while but I got there in the end.

Just pulled these wallpaper templates out of my City & Guilds portfolio, shame I've never had the chance to use that skill in the real world. (Sorry, trying to upload the pic...)

Last edited:
My laptop needs a good beating, took me all this time to upload the pic.

Anyway, these are a few of my templates drawn out on the back of wallpaper which were then used to create them using lead. There's a back gutter, ridge saddle, front apron and step flashing amongst them:

C&G_Lead_Templates_.jpg

bet you kept all your school reports under your bed:) (good at macrami)

I didn't go to school for the last few years, needed an education so used to go the big library in town instead then turned up a few weeks before I was due to leave. Still managed to pass my English, German, Geography, Maths, Science and Religious Education though. But yes you're right I did have my school reports until a few years ago lol.

impressive paperwork. I use the LDA (Lead development association) book. Its great. The bible for lead work. Master piece for practical lead work is bossing a lead slate. I did one for my C&G exam back in 1979, its now in a museum for past skills. Only ever once bossed a lead slate in the business world as the profile was difficult to lead burn.

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
Good evening I am looking for a work...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
Back