Signing off someone else's work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Signing off someone else's work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

I

iain85

Anyone done it? A friend of mine installed a boiler for his friend 5 years back and now said friend wants to sell his house but has no building cert.
He works for BG and trust his work but would obviously want to go there and check out the work before signing anything off. I'm not overly happy about doing it but apparently it is stopping the sale of his house.

So, would YOU do it?

I would for someone I know that does a good job, I would carry out the relevant checks and charge accordingly.

plenty would not and I would not disagree with them, each to their own.

Can you if its five years old?
Best to offer a gas safety check/service the boiler and the home owner will have to take out an indemnity insurance for it.

Don't go near this. The friend might lose a few bob on the sale but that is what he deserves for being cheap in the first place. Also and must contain myself here BG guy moonlighting and nicking our work......need to find beer to settle now.......b****r !

You've answered you own question when you said "I'm not overly happy about doing it". Unless you are skint and need to feed the kids I'd avoid these jobs. Favours have a habit of biting you back.

I would for someone I know that does a good job, I would carry out the relevant checks and charge accordingly.

plenty would not and I would not disagree with them, each to their own.

I agree with this post
But everyone to there own
I agree don't think the boiler can be registered now but a gas very will keep the solicitors happy for sale I'd guess

Last edited by a moderator:
don't think you can register it with gas safe after that long thought you got 30 days to do it . anyone confirm this ? I would have no problem doing a gas safety check but not register it as mine

The site used to accept any date. However I am sure even they have an algorithm that flags up retrospective installs so these would be first to be flagged for an inspection when you are due for review.

I am at odds and think you are right croppie about the real friend bit. The trouble is I know the guy who house it is and he is a sound guy who is kind of caught in the middle with it all. For the ones that would do it, would you go as far as removing and refitting the gas appliance/pipe or just visual and safety checks?
I haven't decided one way or another. I did offer to complete a cp12 as a proof of gas safety but apparently their solicitor is not having it.

I do feel caught in the middle with it all,

With regard to the standard of work, he is a good engineer and works to a very high standard, in fact he trained me when I was an apprentice.

I am at odds and think you are right croppie about the real friend bit. The trouble is I know the guy who house it is and he is a sound guy who is kind of caught in the middle with it all. For the ones that would do it, would you go as far as removing and refitting the gas appliance/pipe or just visual and safety checks?
I haven't decided one way or another. I did offer to complete a cp12 as a proof of gas safety but apparently their solicitor is not having it.

Just tell your mate all you can do is a cp12 and as boiler is out of warranty now either put a new boiler in or it's on his solicitor to sort it

You are being blackmailed mate nicely and your friend does not realise what he is doing to you but this is your livelihood. Sod the solicitor do a CP12 and let them argue it out. It will lead to a slight price reduction nothing more. Because if not this solicitor is asking you by implication to lie.

theres a gsr tb telling you all you have to do to cover your bum if you must, takes more than a visual check to be sure!!!!!!!!

at the end of the day if your friend didn't have his own gas safe registration then it was an illegal install I know it harsh but in eyes of the law no better than someone who has none at all.

at the end of the day if your friend didn't have his own gas safe registration then it was an illegal install I know it harsh but in eyes of the law no better than someone who has none at all.

Not strictly true if it was fitted by a competent person and there was no money involved then it was ok

Your "mate" decided this was the route he wanted to go when installing a new boiler, not yours. Because he wanted it cheap you get the head ache. That's not right or fair. His decision, his consequences.
I actually forgot to register one once, I spoke to the solicitor and was up front. I forgot, shoot me scenario. The solicitor was fine about it, and arranged indemnity insurance for £25!

Not strictly true if it was fitted by a competent person and there was no money involved then it was ok
if it was fully ok why do the solicitors need a it to be registered . I have seen so many people in the company I used to work for who had gas safe with the company but not their own do jobs on sat and just give the customer a cp12 and customer thinks that's all they need - undercutting those who go through the expense of doing the proper channel. anyone is competent until something goes wrong

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
N
  • Article
grade B ld1 conventional fire detection system...
Replies
Views
Nelly72
N
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
B
I used to disconnect and drill them. The last...
Replies
Views
Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
Back