Signing work off | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Signing work off in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

My sisters husband does work on the side, and has been a gas engineer for over 13yrs however he doesnt have his own gas.

Hes asked me if i can sign his work off (filling in benchmark under my business, commissioning etc)
I thought yea i could do this, aslong as its up to scratch and i do all the tests i know

Is this ok to do?
Basically having someone to do the installation and all im doing is signing the job off?

is it ok to do ??????? are you off your head, you pay to get qualified and re-do ACS and buy PLI and a van etc etc etc, and he steals from his employer to do a homer and you sign it off, tell him to give the gas work to you then you can buy a holiday from the profit, it makes no difference if he is family, you owe him nothig as he is asking you to break the law so he can make cash, and if anything goes wrong he cant back you up as he didnt do the job,
the only way this can be done is for you to actually supervise him 1:1 on the job and split the money, but if you are SE and he is employed by someone else that will bring its own problems,
i think anyone who asks a qualified guy to sign off their work is a cheeky git, but any qualified person who actyually signs it off is an idiot

You'll never be able to stop it though, and surely this has been happening for donkeys years??
I'm not saying its right or ok just impossible to stop.

you are right it goes on all the time, but remember it can only happen with rogue gas registered guys doing it, so it is up to each individual whether they want to break the law or not, if you know its happening report it, if we all acted resposibly it wont happen but that will never be the case, ok cowboys are harming the industry but signing off others work allows the work to be done in the first place

Fully respect all the views and this has touched a sore point for people. In regards to how many plumbers are about, i keep ALL my work on WORD OF MOUTH, only advertising i do is flyers for LPG Sites, my vans signwritten. Thats all. So since theres so many plumbers around doing side work. Im getting business by signing off work that provides me with food on the table and making a living. Of course im getting paid because i declare EVERYTHING, ive been in merchants and nearly 9/10 every self employed plumber isnt declaring every job. However i like to do jobs by the book, no short cuts especially when its my name on the paperwork!

I dont see the problem as long as ive checked the jobs out with a fine toothcomb to make sure everythings up to scratch!

If it isnt, i get him to put stuff right, no back chat just do it. I get my money and i also get loyalty points off the manufacturers for promoting that make of boiler

My town has close to 30 sole traders and 4 companies....you can appriciate its hard to make a living when ive spend so much time and money in doing it the right way

so you turn up after the install is up and running and check EVERYTHING is ok? first of all the time between switch on and you getting there the boiler is running and isnt commissioned, you then switch off and drain, remove the flue and boiler to check the fixings are right, then refit the boiler and split every flue joint to check they are done right, (remember poor fitting of flues led to TB008 and all the hassle that has brought us) you then lift every floor and check every yorkshire joint is properly run, then you test and purge etc etc etc etc etc
what you are doing is high risk for low pay, you are off your head and damamging the industry, ok you tell the tax man about every penny you earn and are happy to risk the lives of customers and then your own liberty as you will need to go to jail as you are signing to say you did it, if you dont mind answering, how much cash do you charge for this indemnity service?
haha you can tell im not completely happy with people doing what you do, cant you

Last edited by a moderator:
so you turn up after the install is up and running and check EVERYTHING is ok? first of all the time between switch on and you getting there the boiler is running and isnt commissioned, you then switch off and drain, remove the flue and boiler to check the fixings are right, then refit the boiler and split every flue joint to check they are done right, (remember poor fitting of flues led to TB008 and all the hassle that has brought us) you then lift every floor and check every yorkshire joint is properly run, then you test and purge etc etc etc etc etc
what you are doing is high risk for low pay, you are off your head and damamging the industry, ok you tell the tax man about every penny you earn and are happy to risk the lives of customers and then your own liberty as you will need to go to jail as you are signing to say you did it, if you dont mind answering, how much cash do you charge for this indemnity service?
haha you can tell im not completely happy with people doing what you do, cant you

Wth do you think you are? I told it was over and u your tiny brain failed to register that. Why dont you hush down before you give yourself a heartattack...
Read earlier.. It says the topic is finished

Sorry kirk, i apoligise, just i made my discision from asking the rest of the gas engineers days ago. But the post is still going on. Appriciate your views kirkgas but the discision has been made

Different on the oil front. Apparently anybody can install but only oftec can sign off. I make quite a bit signing off, BUT IT HAS TO BE RIGHT. If it's not right I charge for a return when it is right.

Wth do you think you are? I told it was over and u your tiny brain failed to register that. Why dont you hush down before you give yourself a heartattack...
Read earlier.. It says the topic is finished

so you are breaking the law, conning local firms out of money, conning the government out of tax, come on here and ask for a cuddle and rightly get your plumbs kicked, then say "oh stop it, i wont do it again" your incompetance and lack of professionalism wont give me a heart attack, and if the rest of us want to discuss you and the other idiots who do what you did, then we will do so, so back off, you have instigated a conversation on one of the big issues that are harming the industry so we will rant as we see fit, and of the description i gave of what you should do when checking an illegal install what do you do or not do and if you havent acted professionally and have taken money under false pretext will you go back and do the job properly now you know the right way (there is a TB on the subject, which as a pro you will have read before attempting such work)

Different on the oil front. Apparently anybody can install but only oftec can sign off. I make quite a bit signing off, BUT IT HAS TO BE RIGHT. If it's not right I charge for a return when it is right.

the difference being with oil you are working within the law, and as you are oftec and have proved the standards are correct, then you are quite right to earn money from doing what you are doing

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Back