Silent Running Toilet eluding capture | DIY Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Silent Running Toilet eluding capture in the DIY Plumbing Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I have three toilets in the house. Two have been "silent running" for a while now (constant trickle of water leaking from the cistern into the bowl).

They are identical Ideal Standard units as shown in the picture.

I successfully fixed one of the toilets by replacing the seal at the bottom of the flush unit.

But the second continues to run, despite:

• Replacing the seal at the base of the flush unit
  • Swapping out the flush unit with the third (always ok) toilet
  • Swapping out the flush unit holder that screws into the base of the cistern
  • Tightening the screws that hold the cistern onto the bowl as much as possible.

The offending toilet I dismantled and reassembled a year ago as part of a wetroom installation. Perhaps it's something to do with the screws that hold the cistern to the bowl? When I did this work I felt confident that it was done correctly.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone got any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20240908_174722.jpg
    IMG_20240908_174722.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20240908_174729.jpg
    IMG_20240908_174729.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240908_174636.jpg
    IMG_20240908_174636.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 407
  • IMG_20240908_174653.jpg
    IMG_20240908_174653.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 15
Is the base plastic smooth eg where the silicon / rubber seal mates ?

Is the base plastic smooth eg where the silicon / rubber seal mates ?
If you mean the screw fitting that holds the base of the flush unit, then, as mentioned I swapped this, as well as the flush unit with another toilet that wasn't leaking, and the leak stayed with this toilet. In any case, I did check that the surface that mates with the seal at the base of the flush unit was completely clean, flat and free of any debris/scale.

Similar plumbing topics

When you say 'cleaned the bottom of the tank'...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
I would call it installer error. Maybe from...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I...
Replies
Views
Okay I’ll give it a try, thanks for your replies.
Replies
Views
Back