sleeving flue on boilers!!! | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss sleeving flue on boilers!!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree with NCS . It says the sleeve is to prevent damage due to thermal expansion . So if it is not sleeved and is left in use it may in the future constitute a danger to life or property AR. I disagree with unsleeved pipework being NCS aswell for the same reason . In the old CORGI book that was NCS as well

if the rules stated last year you could put an unsleeved flue in, and then this year it says you need to from now on sleeve flues = then last years flue would be ncs and this years could be classed as ar i suppose as it was installed when the rule come out - this is just what i would do - may be wrong - but if something was installed the right way the year it was installed and then new rules come out stating it needs to be installed a different way then i just put ncs (not to current standards) which it isnt. If it hasnt been ar for the last 5 years its been in a landlord wouldnt see why it is now at risk because of new legislation - so would just ncs it.

i think its a load of ballocks,after all in this age of condensing the flues are plastic

Spoke to tutor today, he says from what he can gather that this will be for metal flues only. so if the inner flu is plastic and the outer flue is metal. it has to be sleeved

I would have thought that if the inner was plastic (the hot exhaust) and the outer metal (air intake) then it would not need to be sleeved as there would be no thermal expansion causing damage to the building which is what this is supposed to prevent? Or am i using common sense too much? Im in agreement with Gasman on this too.

i agree with gasman,you can only put in condensing boilers and flues run at such lower temps being in plastic,so i can't personally see what risk there is, movement in walls??

sounds like a money spinner to me, gas safe have to be seen to be doing something and guess this is it, i guess that they have cottoned on that pipes through walls need to be sleeved so why not flues.

It is all a load of bullocks as far as domestic boiler flues go. It is not required. On timber framed there has always been a need to sleeve or construct the wall to suit with an appropriate lining and dwangs. Most balanced flued fires and conventional flues (twin wall) do need to be sleeved for reasons previously stated.

I think it is a good idea to start sleeving flues through walls,even forgetting about protection,last month replaced four potterton pumas,all had the sleeve fitted that they came with,even though a brick wall, it was so easy to replace and a lot less mess,with boilers now being replaced every 8 to 10 years,makes sense to me
makes it easier to thread the new flue through the wall from the inside if at high level,as most flues now have a larger plastic end terminal
Also with flue quality becoming so bad,with thin metal outers,good idea to have them protected with a sleeve also allows easier inspection on flue walls,however would add,think the manufacturers should be hit with new guild lines to make better quality flues,with better enamel outer protection,even when you are fitted them now ,you have to be really careful you do not scratch the visible outer section of the flue above the boiler when threading through wall,has customer soon winging :(

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a good idea to start sleeving flues through walls,even forgetting about protection,last month replaced four potterton pumas,all had the sleeve fitted that they came with,even though a brick wall, it was so easy to replace and a lot less mess,with boilers now being replaced every 8 to 10 years,makes sense to me
makes it easier to thread the new flue through the wall from the inside if at high level,as most flues now have a larger plastic end terminal
Also with flue quality becoming so bad,with thin metal outers,good idea to have them protected with a sleeve also allows easier inspection on flue walls,however would add,think the manufacturers should be hit with new guild lines to make better quality flues,with better enamel outer protection,even when you are fitted them now ,you have to be really careful you do not scratch the visible outer section of the flue above the boiler when threading through wall,has customer soon winging :(

imho

i agree whole heartedly with what your saying puddle and from a maintenance point of view its great if you are changing a expansion vessel to be able to whip the flue out but and this is my point what could we readily buy to sleeve them with? 5 inch liners about the only thing i can think of being metal

As puddle said the old Pottertons came with a sleeve and a fibre rope seal. The sleeve was around 5" (not sure as no core drill then, cut with a hammer and chisel). The idea is good but as few boiler flues match up with other brands it would need changing anyway. I do 2 -3 boiler swaps a week and i could probably count on my fingers the number of flues that could use the existing hole without trimming the hole.

I agree with the quality of the enameled outer flues. Came across a few condensers where the outer flue is rusting from inside out after a couple of years due to rain water running back the flue. Maybe they should make them all plastic (some are).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Sure, area is Paddington, London
Replies
Views
Unfortunately not. My customer said his...
Replies
Views
That's reassuring. I'm going to call one out.
Replies
Views
Yes, I did see that the matter of putting Mag...
Replies
Views
Back