Smart meter installed correctly? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Smart meter installed correctly? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

An OVO fitter installed a gas meter and said we would smell gas for 24-48 hours. I took a look in the meter box and saw a load of putty and sealant around pipe that goes into the property. Just wondered if this looks like it's been done correctly? Or if we should get it looked at.
20191121_165857.jpg
20191121_165850.jpg

I think you know the answer meter installers are only qualified to swap the meter you can see why 5 minutes would sort the mess out think he got a bit carried away with the putty . Kop

I think you know the answer meter installers are only qualified to swap the meter you can see why 5 minutes would sort the mess out think he got a bit carried away with the putty . Kop

Thanks for taking a look. It looks like a mess to me. Couldn't tell if he was just trying to fill the hole he'd drilled in the wall or if he was bodging a bad fitting with putty. You think it's worth getting someone local to have a quick look?

To confirm, a non-setting putty is fairly typical for air sealing the hole around the gas pipe. The OP might not know that.

Not the tidiest job but nothing to worry about. The old mastic has melted due to heat (Let me guess the meter box is in direct sunlight?). The bonding clip makes it a pain in the arse to be fair. The meter fitter has to seal any holes , he/she doesn't have to spend half an hour cutting away the old stuff, it is your outlet pipe after all.

Similar plumbing topics

1/ You pay for course and they give you...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Yeah sorry, crappy powerpoint skills rather...
Replies
Views
The only opening in a built in gas meter box...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Back