Soldering for a DIY'er | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soldering for a DIY'er in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

A

asadm

Hi All,

I am planning on laying out two zones of Flow and Returns in my property in preparation for a plumber who will install my unvented cylinder and a system boiler.

I anticipate requiring around 80-100 metres of 22mm which will need to be soldered in places. I may also require the 15mm copper tube falling down to the rads but I may do that in plastic as I want it to appear behind the rads and then connect on to the valves from behind, like they do in new builds. I am being advised to achieve this type of connection with 15mm plastic pipe which will drop down from the 22mm copper and then give me enough flex to bend and connect to the valves.

Returning to the original question - what do you advise me to purchase by way of blow torch? As I said, this is a one-off project and the prices of torches vary from £10 to £150.

Thanks

Well with the greatest respect you've just turned your nose up at the torch we've all recommended. It's all about the control of the heat as well as the ferocity of the flame. A diy torch will just cook the joints before you've had a chance to get solder in them. With the best will in the world it may not even be a joint that is poorly soldered and shows a leak now. It might be one that inexplicably blows off under full pressure dispensing mains water through your property in 2 months time. This is why we're all a bit concerned for the plumber as we know which way the finger points when leaks happen

Isn't software a very different beast though?

Where's the DIY spirit if I pay for every piece of work? I will pay for the boiler and Cylinder installation but piping doesn't feel like its beyond the wit of a DIY'er. Do you seriously feel that a DIY'er shouldn't be touching a set of flow and return pipes?

its not that I feel you shouldn't be touching them I just can't get over the fact that a plumber is happy with this set up, I would never work in the situation you are creating. To me your a proffesional within your field and we are proffesional in ours, it just rings alarm bells that your plumber is happy with this set up.

Isn't software a very different beast though?

Where's the DIY spirit if I pay for every piece of work? I will pay for the boiler and Cylinder installation but piping doesn't feel like its beyond the wit of a DIY'er. Do you seriously feel that a DIY'er shouldn't be touching a set of flow and return pipes?

There's DIY, and there's DIY.

If you were planning to change a set of bath taps it'd be a different story. The layout of your pipework can affect the efficiency of your system and cost you a lot of money over the years. Bad notching of joists could cost you a lot more than that, not to mention the daily annoyance of noisy pipes.

Your spirit is admirable but it's like me building a drag-and-drop website on one of those sites that lets you create your site for £1. It will never look as good or rank as well as one created by a pro.

Joints can sometimes look fine, and hold pressure for weeks or months before letting go. This sort of job, with pressurised pipework concealed under floors, is not one for someone who's never soldered.

Much as I detest plastic, if you are determined to do this, I would very strongly recommend you use poly pipe, as you can run huge lengths with no joints.

If you are going ahead with doing some of the piping and soldering yourself, then do loads of practice soldering first. Don't practice on the real thing.
When I did my first soldered joint, it was watched over by a professional and I only got to start after I had watched perhaps thousands of joints in detail being prepared, assembled and soldered carefully.
I still have to use all the tricks of the trade I learnt to solder any solder joint in any situation - awkward or not. It's been a few decades of doing it and I still have to be careful. That why I fear a diyer soldering, as their skill is probably nil.

I get the impression from your comments that you feel that software development is a very skilled job requiring highly skilled intelligent people and that plumbing is just joining pipes and anyone can do it. I am a gas safe heating engineer, plumber and Electrician, I also have a computer science degree and worked as a software developer for several years I know which industry I find more challenging and certainly more rewarding.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
No as it’s 3/4 I’m guessing it’s black mdpe...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Or screw on something like this (looks like it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am just catching up on some threads...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Best you contact Daikin and see what they say...
Replies
Views
Back