Some Rads not working HELP PLEASE | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Some Rads not working HELP PLEASE in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

G

g4cox

Hi,

Some of my rads are not working, information:
I have replaced one rad with new one and T'd off this one to a towel rail in new on-suite (these are not working) also another one in a bedroom has stopped working (this rad has not been touched).
They are not getting hot/warm at all not even the pipe work I have bleed all rads on filling system and since double checked, balanced rads, turned all rads off bar one non working one, checked TRV's (all fine) and still nothing.
I live in a bungalow, I have just also tested for airlock sounded like some air came out and left water pulling through for a while and hot water did eventually come through however as soon as stopped pulling it through it went cold again.

I have a Worcester greenstar boiler pressure is sat just under 2 and isn't moving (apart from when I bleed them).

Can anyone help?? thanks

Thanks for quick responses.

JeffD: Sorry new to heating system how do I tell this? All pipe work from boiler goes into loft then drops down other side of the bungalow in the airing cupboard.

Chalked: All pip work is 15mm

JeffD: There are 9 Rads however 3 are capped off, 3 don't work and the other 3 work fine.
3 22mm pipes one is gas.

Chalked: Just having a look, am I looking for 22mm pipe with some sort of cap?

1. check air valves in loft are bled, 2.drain down from every drain point, fill up again but ensure that the automatic air valves in loft are shut. if they don't have a screw on then replace them when drained down, finally open air valves and the system will work.

The only thing by the boil is this but i assume this is not the pump?

IMAG0203.jpg

There is is one on a 22mm pipe that comes out of the cylinder and there is a 22mm pipe which comes out the floor and has one one then another then goes back into the floor (doesn't go anywhere else) I have not touched any of these whilst doing any of my work.

I can't open it for some reason says invalid, if there is a gate valve on cylinder return I don't think it will be next to the boiler

that's the air valves, there may be more, use your bleed key to open the top until air comes out!! shouldn't need to drain, also the valve in previous pic, should have a lever on bottom, open this by hand and latch it on to keep it open and if there is a gate valve on cylinder fully open it, then when everything is bled, turn on heating only but turn boiler down to 0, open one rad at a time until all the air comes out, turn off heating and turn on hot water. when you hear all the water come out, open all rads and fire up boiler, once hot water is getting hot, turn heating on and test all rads. By the sounds of it you may have the pump in boiler (depending on type of boiler) you need to have boiler on low for pump to work. when finished leave programmer on auto/timed and shut gate valve back to where it was

and the wb nearly all have pump over run, meaning the pump wil run for 3 miutes after temperature has been reached, so keep checking it is running, you should be able to hear it in boiler,

Just a thought, have you fitted a new trv? Is it bi- directional? Some cheaper and older ones are not. This means water will only run one way through. Long shot but worth a look

jase, you say turn boiler down to 0 how is this done there doesn't seem to be anything on the boiler with these settings?

Ballo, no new TRV's re-used one old one and the other new rad was a towel rail.

Similar plumbing topics

You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can buy a replacement bleed screw, but...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Sounds like it needs a combination of bleeding...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Best to remove the rad and put a hose pipe on...
Replies
Views
Back