Someone got to start this one 🤔 | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Someone got to start this one 🤔 in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Morning chaps sitting here watching the early morning news this cronavirus business is really getting a hold now , two families I know have had holiday's cancelled to Spain, this is going to effect us all personally and business wise I am lucky enough to have a shower upgrade a weeks work for a retired couple who are happy to have me in their home , then a full gas central heating job in a empty property to do so won't effect my work situation for the next 3 weeks or so. I have a elderly mother with asthma who lives alone who I am obviously conserved about she lives a 2 hour drive away and getting her to stay in will drive her stir crazy I am seriously considering bring her to stay with us for a month or so, how are you all coping with the problem ? Supermarket shelves are being stripped of basic essentials and I can see this getting worse your opinions please gentlemen. Keep well regards kop

Started something here haven't I 🥴 don't really know what to do to be honest , a colleague of mine had a boiler swap cancelled today the customer didn't want him in the house to be on the safe side , I suppose we should expect this to happen more and more in the coming weeks. Kop
[automerge]1584383048[/automerge]

No I won't cancel work but probably avoid any toilet jobs you still got to earn a bit to pay your way . Kop
I think it’s correct to share our knowledge and thoughts so well done Centralheatking

So, the boiler fit can wait until this 'sombrero' has waxed and waned but there are still some of us that have to support a mortgage and kids. There is always a lot of maintenance to be done. The last call I had today was to a Vokera29HE. Lets say the old dear will be having to wrap up warm tonight. Has anyone any useful info on how supply chains, that we rely on for boiler bits, are predicted to react?

I was talking to my local Wolseley yesterday. They have had their first staff member self isolate. (Luckily they were off most of last week on holiday) I was told that they have been told to follow the government guidelines.

Anyone took time to study about the flu virus pandemic of 1918?
Seems this is similar to what is beginning now. Statistics are scary.
No wonder governments are taking this seriously.
Interesting programme on last night from two years ago comparing 1918 pandemic to what would be the biggest danger to world population when similar pandemic happens. Little did they know it would occur so soon.
Predictions so accurate to latest, -
1% of infected U.K. population would die, virus would gradually mutate and weaken, last a year or so ...

Last edited:
Anyone took time to study about the flu virus pandemic of 1918?
Seems this is similar to what is beginning now. Statistics are scary.
No wonder governments are taking this seriously.
Yes I did this morning, it was slightly different but up to 300m may have perished but it too morphed into a similar virus like this one has done. It’s the % mortality in specific regions is the one to watch and the statistical curve. I don’t expect we will ever really know the real figures. However mortality rates from alcohol abuse and road accidents etc. will fall. Centralheatking

Yes I did this morning, it was slightly different but up to 300m may have perished but it too morphed into a similar virus like this one has done. It’s the % mortality in specific regions is the one to watch and the statistical curve. I don’t expect we will ever really know the real figures. However mortality rates from alcohol abuse and road accidents etc. will fall. Centralheatking

In 1918 they hadn’t the knowledge or any medicine to fight the virus, but unfortunately we are not much more capable today

However mortality rates from alcohol abuse and road accidents etc. will fall. Centralheatking

Had to laugh at that. Currently in Italy with my father who is in the 'at risk' category and who is self-quaranteening himself (due to a fever that was most likely to do with an existing health condition). He works as a journalist for a regional paper and commented that since Italy has now closed all pubs and made a lot of restrictions on people's movements, there hasn't been a single road accident locally.

The next day, a man in his 80s managed to roll a land rover off a road and into a woodland on a road between two towns. In my father's words, where on earth was the man going? Guess who wrote the article :)

Wishing you lot all the best. Not yet convinced the UK government's plan will protect people. Seems to me Italy has decided its elderly population is more important than its economy whereas the UK will quite happily allow a number of vulnerable to people to die while advising but not forcing people to avoid pubs. Hoping I'm wrong. For what I've heard from Walton-on-the Naze (Essex), there is a lack of the cheapest essential foods, but normal supplies of anything that costs 5p more than the cheapest. The run on toilet paper sounds a bit weird as it's not dysentery! In Italy we all have bidets...

The governments plan isnt to protect people, it's to protect the NHS.

The chances are that the majority of people will catch the virus, various percentages bandied about, again another variable percentage will have no or little affect on their health. The remaining percentage will be split into two groups, those that suffer proper flu like symptoms and need a fortnight in bed. The remaining will need hospital treatment and potentially intensive care. The longer this is spread out then the better the nhs can cope.

We are advised to avoid pubs, clubs, restaurants etc but schools are still open, buses and trains running etc etc.

I appreciate the seriousness of the situation, but being self employed I need to keep working, obviously I have additional measures in place and about a weeks worth of work in one spot in an empty house that I will drop onto as the numbers get worse.

Being 52, compromised immune system and the need to work has me in a difficult position.

Exactly the same here bud not in great shape got a empty bungalow to fit heating in but really not got a clue best thing to do , Mrs is in the high risk category and should really self isolate but we need to have some cash coming in. Kop
[automerge]1584509364[/automerge]
On a lighter note maybe people will start having bidets fitted again chaps we could all be busy again soon add that to us website see how many hits ya get ha ha . Kop

Last edited:
Exactly the same here bud not in great shape got a empty bungalow to fit heating in but really not got a clue best thing to do , Mrs is in the high risk category and should really self isolate but we need to have some cash coming in. Kop
[automerge]1584509364[/automerge]
On a lighter note maybe people will start having bidets fitted again chaps we could all be busy again soon add that to us website see how many hits ya get ha ha . Kop
Shhhhh ! KOP there will be a run on bidets now, the shelves will be emptied of the things as people (sheep) stock up. I have a chocolate brown one buried in the depths of the far garage complete with gold Roman banding and faux gold fittings Centralheatking
[automerge]1584515661[/automerge]
The Sloop Inn at St Ives yesterday, clearly no panic or self isolation here are the press trying to panic everybody hmmm.
B61CAFDE-7DE1-4D40-B708-9B8EBCB6FF30.png

Last edited:
At least their all outside CHK I am gonna carry on till forced into staying at home just use common sense social distancing with customers and the public, regular hand washing and gloves when needed we all have freedom of choice here till forced to lock down which I am sure will come as and when this virus gets out of control . Regards kop.

My point is, it's not enough to advise people to avoid crowds. If the UK government were to close pubs by order, landlords could potentially claim on the insurance policies that some of them have. If not, the landlords just lose out if people stop going.

In practice, even the Draconian measures in place in Italy are nowhere near enough to stop the virus, but they do seem to have prevented an exponential growth in numbers of new people catching it. It's still not funny when you hear from a friend in Bergamo that her mother in law is at death's door on oxygen and will probably die and another of her friends is seriously unwell, but there are, of course, limits on what can be done.

A friend of mine in Colchester informs me she spent the other day at a fair and then at the swimming pool. So much for social distancing. It only works if everyone does it.

By contrast, in Italy, I'm allowed to go food shopping if I have to, and for a walk in the woods: alone.

I sadly predict exponential UK growth that will well overwhelm the NHS. At least plumbers are meeting a limited number of people and rarely have to get within spitting distance of their customers.

Wishing you all lots of work in empty houses!

Shhhhh ! KOP there will be a run on bidets now, the shelves will be emptied of the things as people (sheep) stock up. I have a chocolate brown one buried in the depths of the far garage complete with gold Roman banding and faux gold fittings Centralheatking

The image of such a piece of kit has brought a smile to my face. It seems it is both hideous and amazing at the same time. I am not worried about bog roll, I will use one of our ormer shells as a scraper.

The image of such a piece of kit has brought a smile to my face. It seems it is both hideous and amazing at the same time. I am not worried about bog roll, I will use one of our ormer shells as a scraper.
It gets worse we put the fully co ordinated bathroom suite with all the fittings ..bog,cistern,basin & ped, Bath on the grass out the ft of that job one morning and some fella gave us £50 but didn’t want that bidet ...that was in early 90s that’s how old it is...I will try and find a pic Centralheatking

So we can't go to the cinema, theatre or the pub

BUT you can go to an overcrowded supermarket...

Puzzling to say the least

I suppose that one of these things is not like the others and more important for one's well-being. We all need food. That said I could lock my front door and not leave the house for two months at this point and we'd eat OK. I did not go mad stockpiling and clearing shelves but the last three weeks did two shops per week instead of the usual one.

I feel well prepared. What I do not like right now is that yesterday and today our schools links program is still running and we've got another bus load of secondary school kids coming to the workshops. How getting dozens of kids from three separate schools together on busses and bringing them to what are rather small workshops fits in with current advice I do not know!

So we can't go to the cinema, theatre or the pub

BUT you can go to an overcrowded supermarket...

Puzzling to say the least
I really don’t like the great unwashed anyway, loath sitting in cinemas with them eating etc.I go to Aldi early to avoid them. I am very carefull where I drink and never in the suburbs and on,y with farmers etc that talk about real stuff ..drains, vehicles my local will not close we already know ..back door
Centralheatking

Have to say I don't watch news at all since about 3-4 years ago. I live in London and was only aware of the virus from other people and just tv/ radiao in background. Actually sat down last night to watch 30 mins of news and my corona virus alarm meter went from 0 to 100 in that space of time. Reminds me of the terrorist stuff, I am not trying to trivialise the virus nor terrorist but just the way I felt after watching them news was same as when they cover terrorist attacks it makes you proper paranoid.
Really hard to predict what will happen, if it starts dying down there will still be long terms reprocussions just due to the whole frenzy that has been whipped up. If the virus escalates the world just might change forever

Watch this space lol

I agree it's just a matter of time. My elderly Ma was released from a London hospital about 10 days ago where they were initially struggling to find her a bed. She wasn't in intensive care but the critical datum for all the action taken over the virus is the ability of the hospital system to cope while it's still also recovering from seasonal traffic. I suspect it's probably at near capacity at the moment so as soon as the tipping point nears they'll lock down London hence the recent mobilisation of troops.

Similar plumbing topics

R
That answers me question, Well done you.
2 3
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
Back