Starck 3 Toilet flushing problems | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Starck 3 Toilet flushing problems in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patters_uk

I have fitted a Starck 3 low level toilet in my bathroom after reading many positive reviews. The toilet itself is visually nice but we are suffering poor flushing from the supplied valve. The cistern is set to fill to the maximum without overflowing but in some cases it can take 3 flushes to get rid of all paper. The soil exit is to the left rather than directly behind so I guess that may have an impact, although it was sold to me as capable of routing that way. Was I misinformed and this toilet can't route via a right angle and/or is there any adjustment I can make to improve the power of the flush ?.

Denis

Can you give us some pics of the install,this may help

Attached are some images. What I can see is that there is a very slight incline (couple of mm) on the right hand bend. Suspect that won't help but can it be totally responsible for it.

Denis

Attachments

• P1050795 (Medium).jpg
    P1050795 (Medium).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 51
  • P1050793 (Medium).jpg
    P1050793 (Medium).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 58
  • P1050790 (Medium).jpg
    P1050790 (Medium).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1050791 (Medium).JPG
    P1050791 (Medium).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1050792 (Medium).jpg
    P1050792 (Medium).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1050798 (Medium).jpg
    P1050798 (Medium).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 49
  • P1050796 (Medium).jpg
    P1050796 (Medium).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 46
What sort of set up is that,never seen a flexi inside a cistern,is that the way it is described in manufacturers instructions

BTW the wc is close coupled not low level

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe so, the plumber used the parts that came with toilet. However the problem is not with the cistern filling rather with the flush action and I included to picture of the cistern to show how full it was.

Can you spot any other gotchas ?

am guessing the fill valve is fine as there are similar Geberit ones with a flexi hose on the net, indeed this may be a Geberit valve in the cistern.

Attachments

• 0074112100.jpg
    0074112100.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 68
Ah right looks foreign. The flush valve may be adjustable but i have never seen 1 so not sure how,but im sure sum1 on here wil be along soon that has come across 1 and will be able to help

There is probably about 7 inches of water and about 1.5 inches are left behind after flush. The flush takes about 10 seconds to complete and the bowl doesn't fill up as it it doing it so the siphon effect seems to work OK. The rate of flush doesn't seem bad to me just the extraction is poor. Am told these are supposed to be decent toilets.

Picture of the soil stack showing the run from the toilet. How many litres of water in the cistern?

THe pan connector seems to be on an incline from the spigot can you alter this and check if the internal seal over the spigot is on right

The OP has already stated that it is on an incline (post#3), This will be making the water level in the pan a bit deeper, which will impact 'floaters' like paper ;)
As glenn says, try to level the pan connector so that it is coming out horizontally, other than that I'm guessing that the syphon has a control to give a bigger flush but without identifying the syphon we can only guess.
As you say there is 1 1/2 inches of water after flushing then you're not going to get a massive improvement.
I find that some toilet paper brands float more than others so maybe a brand change will sort out your issue without any plumbing needed.

Its hard to see exactly what the water level is in the cistern from your pictures but possibly increasing the water volume in the cistern by adjusting the inlet valve will increase the efficacy of the flush. Is there a water line marked on the inside of cistern??? How does the water level compare with this???

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have adjusted the amount of water in the cistern to be slightly above the level of "max" so I can't get any higher volume. I think my best best is trying to get the pan connector to be more level.

The soil pipe runs into the main soil stack into which another toilet also flushes so am pretty sure there isn't a vacuum problem. Am hoping that there isn't a problem with the soil pipe venting at a right angle as presumably the cut away side of the base is created for just this sort of install

The right angle won't be an issue, it's common practice.
As Kay-jay said, if you can increase the volume of water in the cistern then do it, you can probably raise the overflow on the syphon to allow this. Don't worry too much about the max line, as long as the overflow is at a level that will prevent any over-fill from spilling down that (un)conveniently placed cut out at the back of the cistern.
I can't see the small incline on the soil elbow making much difference tbh, but you never know.
Would be easier if the internals were a more commonly used brand, you'd have had your answer in minutes.
Don't suppose there's any chance of calling the plumber back? I wouldn't mind coming back to a job that a customer wasn't happy with.

firstly i have seen these valves in the pan before, the flexi carried the water from the float valve to the other side of the pan (why I will never know)

as said before there should be 2 parts on the flush valve
1 is for half flush and 2 is for full flush

the half flush is adjustableto fit pan size i.e. and full flush should be set to full amount in tank (except about half an inch in bottom.

so firstly make sure you are pressing full flush and you are setting water as high as possible

now the second thing is the pipe work as said before the pan connector is going up hill, is there other parts going up hill? is there a partial blockage in pipework, is seal in properly and not blocking pipework.

I have been to one before where the seal came off when put on and the customer had not had a proper flush since they had the bathrrom done.

finnally I would check the outside drains to make sure that there isnt a blockage or partial blockage preventing them from flushing away.

And if all of this is fine, then maybe its just the toilet. but if the poo is going away, then I wouldnt worry about a bit of tissue.

call the plumber back if its not right it should be... u need to call him back as the angle of the waste pipe at the rear aint right and the best way to sort it is to lower the end that goes under the bath down a couple of inches,which will need a revised blanking panel with a lower hole and the actual waste pipe cutting a couple of inches and its a biggish job that you shouldnt have to do when youve paid for it to be done right in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for the chuckle. Trying really hard so...
Replies
Views
E
Thanks for the responses folks.. Redsaw...
Replies
Views
ethump
E
This thread is over 3 years old but it would...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back