Stick to what you know best | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stick to what you know best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Speaking as a home DIYer / novice myself, whilst I can see what's wrong in all these photos can someone enlighten me why the use of PTFE is wrong? I've used it on several joints at home and feel a bit embarrassed now :oops:
There's no point wrapping it around the threads if it's needed at all wrap it around the olives took me ages to take it all off from this job

Interesting. When I was shown the basics decades ago, it included putting tape around the male thread as a cleaner way than using jointing compound. Are you saying use nothing at all unless you get a leak?

Interesting. When I was shown the basics decades ago, it included putting tape around the male thread as a cleaner way than using jointing compound. Are you saying use nothing at all unless you get a leak?

Around a Male thread yes. Around the thread on a compression doesnt do anything. The olive causes the seal a bit of paste around the pipe/ olive is enough

Speaking as a home DIYer / novice myself, whilst I can see what's wrong in all these photos can someone enlighten me why the use of PTFE is wrong? I've used it on several joints at home and feel a bit embarrassed now :oops:

The threads on a male joint are solely where the water can pass and need ptfe or other to seal.
The threads on compression joints are not solely where water can pass and are only for the nuts to hold the fitting together between the compressed olives.
If the olives failed to seal properly in a compression joint that you had also used ptfe on threads, then the water would just pass between the gap between nut and pipe

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Oh dear, welcome to the forum, I will move...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
First, ensure the exact position of the leak...
Replies
Views
He went for the putty because he doesn't know...
Replies
Views
Back