Stumped - can you guys bend your head around this one - water going from the loo | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stumped - can you guys bend your head around this one - water going from the loo in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

T

Triple

Can't fathom this one - what d'ya think? Water is pulled from toilet u bend, have replaced the durgo valve, tried it with no valve and tried it with vent pipe sealed - no difference, water is pulled out over apx 30 mins.

I can see down the vent pipe and can see the water leaving when flushed - so no blockage above toilets. Water goes away quickly every time toilet is flushed so no sign of blockage down stream.

It's happening on the top floor of a three storey house in the main bathroom toilet, there is another toilet on the other side of the wall (en-suite) which does not have same problem. Been fine for ten years, problem started apx three months ago.

Thanks guys

Only thing i can think of is either small crack leaking the bowl straight into outlet end or syphoning action , certainly is a strange one ,,

Welcome to the forum Triple

If all the water is draining away, then the bottom of the pan is cracked. If it's a back-to-wall pan, it may not necessarily end up with the floor becoming wet.
The fact the other pan is not draining, and you've removed the AAV, means siphoning is ruled out.

Two things I've had in the past, although 30 mins to lose the water is far too quick for either:

Firstly, while working at Drain Doctor, a chocolate Labrador drinking from the pan had me re-called 3 times to a downstairs toilet smell with the water being lost over a 12 hour period each time. I was working at DD, not the dog!

And secondly, a back to wall pan mounted as an afterthought onto a floor with electric UFH, the coils had been installed below the pan and had escaped being drilled into, although they evaporated the water over a 3/4 day period. I suggested removal of the pan or more frequent flushing as it never used, but the shop owner resorted to filling pan with sand!

Clever, steady on, you were right. I took toilet out in the end and found that someone had put a hankerchief down there, it got caught and was looped over the u bend transporting the water out.

Thanks for the hint.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Scotland dude we dont pay for water like the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it was the non return valve on the bottom...
Replies
Views
  • Question
And more to the point are you 100% sure it’s...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would tend to agree with snowhead the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
Back