Sub contracting to heating firm | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sub contracting to heating firm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyBongo

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got a meeting soon with the gaffer of a large heating mob doing installs for the council. Moneys pretty good, we work as a 2 man team with a supplied joiner and spark. On the phone the guy said its flats, fitting a boiler and 4 /5 rads. Anyone else do this kind of work?

i did some of this about 20 years ago usually takes a week to get up to speed but once youve got in the swing you can earn good money best for the young n fit

ad make sure everything is cool cos my mate done it and there were heat packs with stuff missing anyway they got the stuff on there account to get the job done, never got it back just the wages they were owed it didnt last long

i did tis on and off for the past 3 years , now got a little contract on void properties where i do full ch and plumbing ! much enjoy this rather then what i did last year boiler+cylinder+10-15 rads a day !
team of 3 man ,me boiler and cylinder plumber on the rads and labour to run about !

im on one a day heating the now, making good money and the work isnt too bad, mostly easy jobs but when we get a nightmare the other boys if they finish early they give us a hand and vice versa, we also only concentrate on heating dont do the wiring unless its just a plug for commisioning. I was a bit skeptical about it when i wasnt sure if it was possible to do a good job in that time frame but in a 10 hour shift i can do quite alot now and to a high standard

Starting on tuesday with this one, seems a well run company. Fit a boiler and up to 7 rads in a day for a 2 man team. Seems like the right thing to do the now. Been sub contracting to a builder for the last year, but theres too much hassle involved and running about. This seems a lot easier, less paperwork, less running about, no materials on our account and less risk of getting bumped for payment!

i subbied to a company doing heating but they weren't very organised, wouldnt be getting a start until around 10am would be getting a basic kit of materials would always have to go to merchants etc always costing me time and it put me under alot of pressure, bricking up chimneys wiring boiler/stats etc etc.

now working for a company who are well organised have a high top van full of pipe and fittings, they have joiners, sparks, builders, carpet fitters etc all to help out 8am starts and van drivers to deliver materials and collect rubbish. We get to keep the scrap but not the cylinders anymore, scrap gets all put in together and we all get a cut off it.

This type of work is good if its well organised and can make a good wage, im usually averaging a 10 hour shift and usually have 1 5 minute break for a bite to eat and drink. Are there a few teams or just 2 of u ?

Think theres a few teams by the sound of it, sounds pretty similar to what you're doing except we dont get any scrap! You just doing the installs on your own?

its a council contract so were all in the same area, the sparks only care about their own jobs so once theyr finished they are going home they always get early finishes, but we have an arrangement were if one team finishes early and the other is struggling on a nightmare job we go round and help out, we generally get finished between 4-6pm.

some jobs are storage heating rip outs, others are wet system rip outs, i generally strip old boiler down and remove, remove clyinder and associated pipework and install new boiler then help out with rads.

We work as a 2 man team + the young apprentice, for a large company, we do one a day installs (avg 7 rads) as well as old system out, it took a while to get into it but now were flying with it, some days are a breeze but you will get the odd day where your just getting home and going back out to work again. If your fairly fit it's a good option to make some decent money!

its a council contract so were all in the same area, the sparks only care about their own jobs so once theyr finished they are going home they always get early finishes, but we have an arrangement were if one team finishes early and the other is struggling on a nightmare job we go round and help out, we generally get finished between 4-6pm.

some jobs are storage heating rip outs, others are wet system rip outs, i generally strip old boiler down and remove, remove clyinder and associated pipework and install new boiler then help out with rads.

watch the storage heaters for asbestos, there are lists kicking about i can get you with make/models if you dont have it

Good advice Kirk. A lot of the young boys don't know the many forms it comes in (awareness course or not) and some main contractors don't particularly care as long as the work is being done and nobody rocks the boat.
If you are not sure don't touch it and get it checked.

council should have a asbestos register,which is an audit of there property regarding what and where,there asbestos hazards are,you should be able to access this .ask the responsible person on site.

i think the guys are a bit clued up in what ones have asbestos, but a list would be good to be on the safe side

I've got the TB that Corgi sent out detailing all the asbestos containing appliances on my machine. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
In my experience, the way these things usually...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think I'll warn him it might be bad...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
Back