Suggestions on how I should correctly seal this value | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Suggestions on how I should correctly seal this value in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Agreed, as I said you may get away with it, may leak when you fit it, it may leak in 6 months time. Why not use the right product/method from the get go?

On most parallel threads (rad valve tails for example) I wouldn’t personally use anything other than ptfe tape and some paste. Been using that method since the 70s and never leaks if tail feels tight to turn. And I mean no weeps even after decades.
I was one of the first plumbers to embrace ptfe tape as an alternative to Hemp due to a friend of mine who worked in chemical development industry highly recommending it.

On fittings or valves with only 2 or 3 threads however, I would be concerned to use tape unless there is a shoulder joins to seal the metal to metal against.

So what is the proper seal for parallel threads (in the threads)?
Cord seal?

[QUOTE="Best, post: 1041804, member: 2832]
Cord seal?[/QUOTE]

PTFE is great stuff, its only really meant for tapered threads though.

Like you say you'll often get away with it on heating systems but that's largely down to them running at such low pressures.

As others have suggested Loctite 577 is a good product but I don't think its "food safe" so shouldn't be used with potable water systems.

I think Loctite 565 and 567 are suitable for use with potable water systems but you'd have to check.

Using the right stuff is only marginally more expensive and ensures no call backs.

[QUOTE="Best, post: 1041804, member: 2832]
Cord seal?

PTFE is great stuff, its only really meant for tapered threads though.

Like you say you'll often get away with it on heating systems but that's largely down to them running at such low pressures.

As others have suggested Loctite 577 is a good product but I don't think its "food safe" so shouldn't be used with potable water systems.

I think Loctite 565 and 567 are suitable for use with potable water systems but you'd have to check.

Using the right stuff is only marginally more expensive and ensures no call backs.[/QUOTE]

The cord seal I have never used, although I do have some of it.
I suppose it is having the confidence in it, plus I would be quicker with using ptfe tape.
I also use tape on oil fittings, including 1” connections to oil tanks.
Amazing stuff ptfe (in any form, - tape, liquid or hard type ptfe). I remember researching that it was invented around WW2 period.
I hate hemp (flax as I call it) due to the joints setting solid, and it being more difficult to put on threads properly

Of all the products available for sealing threads, I still use PTFE tape on just about all threaded joints.
It all about knowing how much to uses.

As the OP stated, used 10 turns and the fitting screwed all the way up.

Anyone who has been doing plumbing for anytime would realize straight away that there is a problem.
I would go as far as saying, I wouldn't have got as far as testing the joint if the finished product looked like that in the photo.

Similar plumbing topics

Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you for the tip. The joint pipe which...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just as an aside, this fitting is never under...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would get the joint replaced it could...
Replies
Views
Back