System or combi boiler? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss System or combi boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi Stigster - Thanks! I forgot to mention water pressure is low downstairs and decent upstairs and water is coming through led pipes
That does not make a great deal of sense. What do you have downstairs, and are you refferring to hot or cold, or both. Whatever scenario I can think of will result in a greter pressure down than up - if iot is noticeable at all.
For it to be opposite suggests that there is/are valve(s) in play

Not sure I’d have another combi, in my last house (2 up 2 down) we had a Worcester 28si 2, which was great, but I work on a lot and majority of them aren’t that great. Just my opinion though.

Hi guys

We want to do a whole revision of our boiler system- we currently have a system boiler at the moment with a water tank upstairs. One bathroom currently with electric shower and a 2nd bathroom still being constructed. What do you guys advise? Please let me know if this is in the wrong forum and I can move accordingly - thanks
If you want a powerful shower, the key is to make sure that the combi boiler is powerful enough to supply a hot water flow rate of at least 12-15 litres a minute.

Yep you are right- I have a cold water tank in the loft and hot water tank next to upstairs bathroom (which is very old so definitely needs cleaning out)
Consensus seems to be that unvented cylinder is the way to go for improved shower, provided your mains water pressure and flow are adequate. Needs checking before finally deciding. Specially if your current cylinder is on its last legs.
Is there anything wrong with the existing boiler? If you decide to replace it, you could go for heat-only, if there's room to install separate and expansion vessel, if not another system boiler.

I went on a Baxi product training day last week (Baxi 600 series) and not one of the of the installers there had a Combi in their own house. A bit of food for thought?
Friend of mine runs a gas company, made redundant by BG early 90s, struggled for a couple of years, then combis took off and he's never looked back, gets most of his work from combi callouts. He wouldn't have a combi in his own place.

Doesn't a system or heat-only boiler use less gas than the equivalent combi one?

With the combi, water needs to be heated instantaneously, you need a big power output for that. With system boilers, you heat up a tank of water then keep it warm.
So cheaper to run a system boiler.

Doesn't a system or heat-only boiler use less gas than the equivalent combi one?

With the combi, water needs to be heated instantaneously, you need a big power output for that. With system boilers, you heat up a tank of water then keep it warm.
So cheaper to run a system boiler.
Would be good to know the actual figures for this

I mean the gas useage of a combi vs a boiler and cylinder
For a given property, combis usually rated 2-3 times higher output than system or heat-only, due to the need to get a decent hot water flow. So instantaneous gas usage is higher (can mean increasing gas pipe size). Overall consumption for CH probably doesn't vary much, just depends on the efficiency of each. For HW, depends on type of use. If it's all in one lot each day, combi could be better. If (more likely) it's many small draw-offs combi likely to be worse.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
Back