Tap Removal From Ceramic Basin | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tap Removal From Ceramic Basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I need to remove a tap from a large ceramic (expensive) basin. The backnut has completely corroded and is not budging. I soaked it in penetrating oil and still no go.

Room around the backnut is limited. There is a rubber washer in between 2 metal plates that go onto the underside of the tap, before the backnut.

I'm thinking, somehow of using a hacksaw to cut the backnut by going in between the 2 metal plates??? But I'm not positive I'll even get a junior hacksaw in the space...

Any other suggestions???

A hammer and chisel is out the question haha

A couple of images for info:

b889f1e68ff1ac06abe2c2de7f4b2756.jpg

0a66edbb60879d2b824c8b5f47d344af.jpg

Can't get a grinder in there, no space.. tried a socket and the nut just turns. The crosshead is what needs to come out..

First of all, it looks as if the original bolt and nut assembly hasn't been used and bodged with a cross head bolt and a nut as a packer. I've done something like this before, If you can get a cordless drill in, use a very good quality 3mm hss drill bit to drill DIRECTLY in the middle about 5mm deep, then a 4mm bit, then 5mm, then 6mm and so on until you've drill through bolt head and to the attaching threaded shaft.

Dya get me ?

What have u been using to loosen the nut ? If u use the long tap nut sockets with a socket n handle onto the other side , if the nut doesn't move then usually the whole screw will turn . But you need good leverage . I wouldn't be taking a grinder to that , that's just madness lol. If really stuck then the dremmel with mini wheel..

Forgot to say twist the flexis off to give yourself more room to work.

First of all, it looks as if the original bolt and nut assembly hasn't been used and bodged with a cross head bolt and a nut as a packer. I've done something like this before, If you can get a cordless drill in, use a very good quality 3mm hss drill bit to drill DIRECTLY in the middle about 5mm deep, then a 4mm bit, then 5mm, then 6mm and so on until you've drill through bolt head and to the attaching threaded shaft.

Dya get me ?
I like it... Cheers bogrodder

DISCLAIMER, customer to sign before you start, basin off wall, turn upside down to give you room to work :)

What have u been using to loosen the nut ? If u use the long tap nut sockets with a socket n handle onto the other side , if the nut doesn't move then usually the whole screw will turn . But you need good leverage . I wouldn't be taking a grinder to that , that's just madness lol. If really stuck then the dremmel with mini wheel..
The nut is just being used as a spacer.. I put a box spanner on but it just span without the screw moving anywhere

I was having a look at pic Jay it's quite hard to make out nut but what holds it in place if nuts just a spacer ?

I second bogrodder, only safe way off is drill the head off, i would pilot the middle first with .5mm bit so 5 mm bit doesn't slip around, use a decent hss bit and half an hour should do it. Done half a dozen like that recently. Good luck

If you have a dremel mini wheel grinder but can't get horizontal with the thread to cut, you could file opposite sides of the head of the screw and mol grip it and release that way, or use a focused flame and work it off that way?

I was having a look at pic Jay it's quite hard to make out nut but what holds it in place if nuts just a spacer ?
The bolt they've put into the tap.. if you ask me the tap is a monstrosity and needs scrapping.. I'm definitely going to try drilling it out.. Cheers guys ;)

Just peeked a look at a dremel.. gotta get me one of those!!! :)

If you get one you will be surprised how much use it has, cutting out old copper that Is tight to a wall is a whizz with a dremel. Make sure you get the branded one though the b and q version is ****e

If you get one you will be surprised how much use it has, cutting out old copper that Is tight to a wall is a whizz with a dremel. Make sure you get the branded one though the b and q version is ****e
For sure.. so many possibilities from such a small tool haha

My dremel is being delivered tomorrow!!! Can't wait ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I haven’t used my socket set yet. Purely...
Replies
Views
Thanks Ben,I've tried with a socket and given...
Replies
Views
L
Yeah when I spoke to them, they said that the...
Replies
Views
ladyzplumb
L
O
Trying to remove the tap lever on above...
Replies
Views
O
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Back