Tax return materials connundrum. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tax return materials connundrum. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
You declare your income and you submit all your material receipts.

But most people end up with a lot of materials on the van. They already claimed the full cost of which offset against their earnings.

Presumably this evens out because you then use them up next year, have less material receipts to offset against your earnings.

But would this technically mean that once you retire you owe HMRC the value of everything on your van?

You are supposed to have stock showing in your books.
Technically the government could finally say you have stock (which in reality is cash and not necessarily partly or entirely money lost), but I doubt if it matters much unless you had thousands in stock finally left.
Unless you are fantastic at keeping careful records of stock in and out, then only way would be do a stocktake occasionally to keep it all accurate

Last edited:
Hmm. That makes sense.

I wonder how many people here declare estimates of what stock they have on the van then.. And how many just claim for all material receipts collected through the year.

Most accountants would say you have £500-£1000 of stock. Hmrc would expect this.
But as you say , it evens out. As you will do a job with that stock. Therefore you will invoice materials without having to purchase them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

now i'm thinking that might be the best thing...
Replies
Views
Hmmm. To us, it wouldn't make a huge amount...
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
if you are investigated, do it at your...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
R
Emptied !
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Back