Testing for leaks in oil line | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Oilboil
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 10K

Discuss Testing for leaks in oil line in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again - OP here.

The engineer felt that the leak had been due to the PVC fittings that had been previously used and replaced them with brass (getting on for two months ago now.)

I noticed a bit of a smell near where the pipe enters the house today and found that the pipe was indeed wet with oil. I wiped it dry but a couple of hours later it was coated again.

The pictures below were taken after I had again wiped the pipe off and then again after about 20 minutes - you can see the darker area where the oil is leaking.

So what do I do? I'm loathe to call the same guy out again as I'm not sure that he knows (or cares) what he's doing.

My questions are:

1) can anyone recommend an engineer in Rossendale/Lancashire/West Yorks who can come and sort this out/reassure me that all is well
2) am I just being naive - should I expect a small amount of leakage on a warm day?
3) does the set-up in the pictures look right: the exposed green line, what I assume is a disconnected fire-valve etc...

20170504_161611.jpg

20170504_163553.jpg

Don't do oil but why has the fire valve been removed ?

Don't do oil but why has the fire valve been removed ?

It was like that when we moved in and was left like that on the two occasions when the boiler was serviced, including the occasion above when the oil line was pressure tested.

I would be concerned that the fire valve is disconnected, that needs immediate attention and refitted or replaced if faulty, the weeping oil line needs sealed using a pipe insert, ptfe and fuel seal for example haldite. You can use a vacuum gauge on the oil pump it can indicate problems with an oil line.

It isn't against the regs to use plenty of pipe to fitting joints, but not good practice. Minimum joints, minimum possible leaking points.
A remote firevalve needs refitted (that one lying on ground might be faulty and no doubt full of water and dirt now).
I would prefer a male fitting into each side of the firevalve (a male straight and a male bend) so that you only have 2 pipe connections there.

as above, is your guy OFTEC registered, any engineer will know that fire valve should be fitted or in this case, replaced.

Thanks for the replies - anyone got any local recommendations for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
Back