"There's a funny smell from my back boiler" | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss "There's a funny smell from my back boiler" in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kirkgas

Says my wife's pal on the phone this morning, not been serviced for donkey's years, the POC's can't get through the exchanger then the flames melted the cable which put the boiler off and stopped them dying, c'mon people get your appliances serviced
get
mepa3ava.jpg

Good god! That's a bad one. I think she got the best present this year!

Bet you were pleased to see that one Kirk standing there in your christmas jumper and new slippers :lol:

Unfortunately I've seen a lot like that.
Everything needs washed down as if you miss some soot it will be just as bad 2 weeks later.

Id just be going for a new boiler! Rather than cleaning all that up and then fixing all the other faults on system.

A well maintained back boiler is a great bit of kit that will out last most of us. They just need abit of t.l.c.

Whenever I remark on a "funny smell" my wife usually tells me: "My nose is too near my ar5e."

Update in this is after stripping every single bit, brush and cleaned it all then put it back together, then was chatting about checking the vent next, they mentioned they had the cellar insulated by a contractor last week, that set the alarm bells ringing, when they moved in two years ago the fitted a new carpet and removed the floor vent, obviously as they have a full size cellar under the house it was providing enough air to feed the boiler as "draughts" but getting it insulated removed the air causing the prob, I know it's not the contractors fault the punter removed the vent, however I'm going to contact them to discuss it as their actions have led to the problem as they removed the air route and if the cable didn't short out and shut the burner the people could have died

Did one of those couple of months back for a very old couple cost about 280quid for parts alone hardest bit was sourcing heat resistant cable for fire as obsolete

Says my wife's pal on the phone this morning, not been serviced for donkey's years, the POC's can't get through the exchanger then the flames melted the cable which put the boiler off and stopped them dying, c'mon people get your appliances serviced
get
mepa3ava.jpg
if i had a quid for every time i seen a 552 like that ............

Did one of those couple of months back for a very old couple cost about 280quid for parts alone hardest bit was sourcing heat resistant cable for fire as obsolete
whats wrong with 0.75 heat resistant?

Not a manufacturers tested part and as i am the last person on site its my responsibility and any non manufacturers part would be classed as at risk i stand to be corrected

Not a manufacturers tested part and as i am the last person on site its my responsibility and any non manufacturers part would be classed as at risk i stand to be corrected
yes you are corrected 0.75 HR would do the job,i started my career on 551/552/401 Bermudas,this cack about not type approved is just nonsense

yes you are corrected 0.75 HR would do the job,i started my career on 551/552/401 Bermudas,this cack about not type approved is just nonsense

agreed i dont remember a back boiler coming with any flex you just wired to the loose plug actually as in this case the wire burning out is one of its safety features

Plus 1 on the 0.75mm2 HR. Mfrs part upto the connector . Jesus u sure that was just two weeks and not a few months? Looks pretty heavy?

Speak to the manufafacturers and they will tell you different i agree heat resstant cable will do the job but it ain a manufacturets part

agreed i dont remember a back boiler coming with any flex you just wired to the loose plug actually as in this case the wire burning out is one of its safety features

The flex was th plug in flex between the fire and the wiring socket

The cable that shorted out was the cable from the spur into the boiler so not a part of the boiler, it was 0.75 heat resistant, but as the flames were licking over it it burned through as it is "resistant" not fire proof, I sent him to B&Q to get a bit

Plus 1 on the 0.75mm2 HR. Mfrs part upto the connector . Jesus u sure that was just two weeks and not a few months? Looks pretty heavy?

It's hard to say when the problem started, they blocked the floor vent two years ago, it's never been looked at since they moved in so we have no idea when it was serviced, the under floor was insulated a couple of weeks ago so I think it's accelerated the problem, I got at least a carrier bag full of soot out of it, it's been a very long time since I serviced one as bad as this, but I have seen plenty this bad

The cable that shorted out was the cable from the spur into the boiler so not a part of the boiler, it was 0.75 heat resistant, but as the flames were licking over it it burned through as it is "resistant" not fire proof, I sent him to B&Q to get a bit

Nothing wrog with that but my original post was about a manufacturers part, and i was ambushed by others

Thats your call maybe am being picky but spoke to baxi they said not been tested by them so not a genine part which is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
A condensing boiler is high efficiency, and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back