Things i need for a Plumbing tool kit | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Things i need for a Plumbing tool kit in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

P

pana37

hi all after posting on this great forum i have decided to go for Copper pipes to fit a totally new central heating. before anyone says i wont be touching any gas!
already have 22mm and 15mm pipe slice.
Question i wanted to ask is.
i need to buy Lead free solder and Flux with a built in brush, are there any particular brands i should go for? or are they all the same?

looking to buy map gas from toolstation linky
what other things i need besides normal diy tools

thanks in advance..

It's like riding an old bike,whatever would we do without capillary attraction, three wheeled bike!!!:eek:mg_smile: it's when you get in those awkward
spaces where the experience will count, don't burn everything around you

Last edited by a moderator:
yes going to start this v soon thanks Keefy

Cut a length of pipe up into small sections, say an inch or two per piece and join then together with couplings. Practice soldering from below too. Remember to remove the flame before applying the solder.

There's so much to learn if this is your first time doing such a job but if you're willing to listen and take the advice offered by the members here you should be okay. You could probably do with getting your camera out to keep us updated.

Cut a length of pipe up into small sections, say an inch or two per piece and join then together with couplings. Practice soldering from below too. Remember to remove the flame before applying the solder.

There's so much to learn if this is your first time doing such a job but if you're willing to listen and take the advice offered by the members here you should be okay. You could probably do with getting your camera out to keep us updated.

Good advice Keefy, but please not on film I don't like seeing grown men cry..:19: Push fit rules OK, did I just say that :bigcry: copper not plastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qbq2Z5_LUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JufNYNnxLrw

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Advice Keefy, will take pics
was thinking how does end feed and solder ring differ besides 1 doesnt have solder and other has. is one better than the other?

Top Advice Keefy, will take pics
was thinking how does end feed and solder ring differ besides 1 doesnt have solder and other has. is one better than the other?
With solder ring fittings you just apply heat until you see a nice ring of solder appear but they're more expensive than endfeed.

Everyone has their preference with flux. I use La-co flux, but beware it seems to run more than other fluxes and it will turn your clothes purple and your hands green! Make sure you wipe your joints after as it is will eat through them eventually.

Don't buy Mapp gas, its too hot for small pipes, normal blue bottled propane is more than adequate for upto 28mm pipe.

'Fings what I have in my tool bag:
Pipeslices
Adjustable pipe slice
Adjustable spanners (Daddy, Mummy and Baby size)
Water pump pliers, aka grips (as above)
Junior Hacksaw
Various size and length screwdrivers (flat and pozi)
Torpedo Level
Stanley Knife (other brands are available)
Hammer
Floorboard lifter
Half round file
Wood Chisel
Multimeter
Wire cutters
Plus a few gas related items

Everyone has their preference with flux. I use La-co flux, but beware it seems to run more than other fluxes and it will turn your clothes purple and your hands green! Make sure you wipe your joints after as it is will eat through them eventually.

It also reduces your lung function by 2% everytime you use it XD

i used it once, great flux but man all i tasted for hours after was laco from the smell !!

Get a pair of benders ifyou don't mind losing a few quid in the learning process.

Get a pair of benders ifyou don't mind losing a few quid in the learning process.
[video=youtube;cMAgArlo_1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMAgArlo_1g[/video] i see what you mean could save a few quid in the long run and less joints less chance of leaks also, i guess will need practice of getting it right not sure if this will work on tight corners

These lookalike a good idea linky

Don't know about anyone else but that's not really a deburring tool, it might be okay on a cut done by a hacksaw but for a pipeslice cut I'd use one of these.

Don't know about anyone else but that's not really a deburring tool, it might be okay on a cut done by a hacksaw but for a pipeslice cut I'd use one of these.
I didn't say it was deburring I saw this being used to clean inside the fittings prior to fluxing to provide a key? However I will need a deburring tool so will look at the product on that link, hasn't had good reviews though

Heat mat
footprints
small damp rag for cleaning up joints
spray bottle of water just incase
deburrer 15mm 22mm 28mm
GOOD blow tourch and mapp gas heats quicker
jimmy bar
cheap saw
flux brushes more then one
benders
spade drill bits
sds drill sds bits raw plug size and 16mm and 24mm long sds bits
core drills
tape measure
pencils
sharpie marker pen to mark pipes
hammer
cordless
open tote tool bag to carry it all in :punk:
hire or borrow a pipe tester wet or dry
radio
pipe clips fittings
PIPE LOL
lagging
level
angle drill attachment if your posh
camera for our pleasure
pain killer kneeling pad or knee pad or even propper work bottoms with knee pads
id use lead free solder
ptfe
paste
grips

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Here's an attachment of the PDF if people are...
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK, I'm spotting a theme here :) Thanks...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back