Toilet loosing trap seal | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet loosing trap seal in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Koogatubac

Kind of gone mind blank lol

My sisters new build house

Downstairs close coupled toilet looses its trap seal, could it be down to siphonage or positive pressure in the soil stack or the toilet itself?

Soil stack i imagine runs up to the attic (9m in height)

Other appliances inc basins and a en suite shower doesnt show any signs such as smells etc also NO WATER MARKS AROUND PAN - so doesnt look like hairline crack in pan

It must have an amount of water in the pans trap as it doesnt give off smells
Any ideas?

Definitely goes to the stack? I've had my my downstairs loo lose its water trap on the odd occasion, every time it's been a blockage in the manhole outside. The contractor who threw my house and all the surrounding ones up didn't size the drainage properly.

From a installers point of view croppie i would imagine they would of took it to the stack, however you never know it could be a direct line to the drains.

Think if they get any trouble it maybe the best point of call to look at.

Hopefully wont get the experience what Tamz got with rodding the drains! Lol

Cheers for the input croppie :) shes not getting any smells and its not affecting the other appliances so thats a good point atm.

If the drain was blocked though, surely it would rise the pans water level wouldnt it? Or even affect the water flow of the other appliances, especially when they have about 4m of downhill to reach speed before they hit a 92* bend

Within 2 hours it lowers its water level by a slight bit, however doesnt totally lose the water in the pan

Can you put a pic up mebee it will help,is the water line lower than the bottom of the waste outlet

With such a high stack I would be looking at compression at the base.
Is the stack vented ??
If other fitting (try WC) are used above, is there any movement in the water of the trap?

compresion could be caused by partial blockage if this is something that has started after working ok for a while

would have thought if it was lack of a slow bend at the base of the stack,compression would show up by sucking the traps out of the bath,basin etc

would have thought if it was lack of a slow bend at the base of the stack,compression would show up by sucking the traps out of the bath,basin etc
Compression normally cause's positive pressure at trap but as trap falls some water is lost out of the seal. Effect can be increased if Durgo fitted & not open to atmosphere as this positive pressure can not be relived up the vent. (that's why we don't like em)

Think they vent via a roof tile. Thing is out of 3 basins, 1 bath, 1 shower, 3 toilets, sink and w/m, its only the downstairs toilet which loses some of its trap seal :S might be a slight blockage or the drains havnt been sized right due to large amount of appliances

Size not a problem with that lot if 110mm
As I say, try flushing WC above & watch the ground floor one to see if trap water seal moves up & then down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Based on your extra information, you've...
Replies
Views
J
You sound pretty clued up on how to deal with...
Replies
Views
Radioman
R
D
Asfor the notch I'd agree the depth is way...
Replies
Views
N
Or put loo blues in cisterns then water will...
Replies
Views
S
another example where the green ethos over...
Replies
Views
Back