Too charge or not to charge. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Too charge or not to charge. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went out to a leaking tap around the spout I replaced the o rings all was good off I went and had a call the next day it was leaking again. I went back and went through the van and went through every o ring in my van and thought I had it but no next day started leaking again.

I told the customer that if it leaked again that the taps will need replacing.

Would you charge for going back to replace the taps or just take it on the chin?

Maybe charge for tap changing, minus a charge or discount on the earlier jobs...

I agree if its a regular I would take it on the chin if not I would charge but as Steve suggested maybe slightly reduced

I would have put some ptfe on in the grooves before I put the O rings on if they were not tight enough. I have several boxes of O rings and still am lucky if I can get an identical size for mixer spouts.
I would have charged just the new mixer job

the moral of this tale is taps are now disposable items you can get cheap sink mixers for £30 if they cant tell me a make of the tap (bristan grohe or franke )why bugger around with them i always recomend new taps and mixers or tap revivers at the least

I would have put some ptfe on in the grooves before I put the O rings on if they were not tight enough. I have several boxes of O rings and still am lucky if I can get an identical size for mixer spouts.
I would have charged just the new mixer job
ive said this before o rings come in two sizes to big and to small i used to carry two boxes of assorted which are now in the bin

This is the swivel spout on maybe and old '80s monoblock.

I'd spend maybe twenty minutes (no more) replacing O ring and packing with ptfe and grease and fully test it by waggling and when I'm happy I've done all I can, I say monitor that for a week if it dribbles its a new tap.

Then deduct the cost off the next bill. I don't think I've been called back to one.

Its a good way to meet new customers who ask you to do other work, if you charge say £45 to not fix a tap and then charge more for replacing it you have certainly lost that customer and they will give you a bad name.

A garage did that to me and I slag them off every chance I get to anyone who will listen.

Charge, but take off the first repair charge. Let her know the discount and what your k icing off, be clear.

ive said this before o rings come in two sizes to big and to small i used to carry two boxes of assorted which are now in the bin

That's what I find, - when I get a new O ring that is exact outer diameter as old one, it is usually too thick or too thin. Most of my new O rings will never be used.
There is a market for this. If plumbing merchants could offer us a box of O rings that actually did most jobs.

Best way to judge one of these is to try to dream up a similar situation where you are the consumer and someone else is the service provider.

Does it seem fair to you, when you have the other side of the deal? If not, then you probably need to rethink it.

A lot depends on what you said at the outset. If you said "No problem madam, we'll have that as good as new in a jiffy", then thats what they have a right to expect. On the other hand, if you warned them that it might not work, and that a replacement might be necessary, then thats a different story.

Rubber O`rings are like bearings, near enough is not good enough!

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

Usually I say to the customer I can try repairing but if it doesn't work it will need new taps and then just charge as normal.

But I never said it to this bloke. I've priced up to change his bath to a shower tray so I might just take this one on the chin as if I deduct what I charged last time I will be doing it for free anyway as it won't take long to change.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

Usually I say to the customer I can try repairing but if it doesn't work it will need new taps and then just charge as normal.

But I never said it to this bloke. I've priced up to change his bath to a shower tray so I might just take this one on the chin as if I deduct what I charged last time I will be doing it for free anyway as it won't take long to change.

If you've already got the job then yes take it on the chin, if he just wants you to qoute for the bath to shower tray then deduct it off the cost of the qoute once you've got the job

I carry a Holdite O ring box for 7 years and I swear to god I've never used one solitary O ring from it, I try everytime but fail to match anything. Its like the makers have got the ten most comman sizes and made each one slightly too big or small and put them all in a little kit.

I have much better luck with this one.

Rubber O-Rings Metric - Metric O Rings - Large Mixed Box | eBay

Not at that price though..

Last edited:
You can make your own O`rings, used to do it often on low pressure stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Hi, did you ever solve this problem? You...
Replies
Views
S
hi! I'll try to upload a picture but the pipe...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Question
I agree it's hard to know when you're buying a...
Replies
Views
Id say recal at that price....as soon as it...
Replies
Views
Back