Too much on a U6 meter | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Too much on a U6 meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Went to give a quote today on a house with 2 boilers
The main house has a Vaillant 938 storage combi and the basement 'flat' has a 24kw combi
There were 2 gas meters but when the owner bought the house, they knocked through to the basement flat and had one meter removed so not to pay charges for both.

The basement combi is now dead and they want to replace it with another but
Vaillant 938 uses 4.15 m3/hr
24kw combi uses around 2.5 m3/hr

What is the best way forward?
Get them to arrange for a bigger meter to be fitted?

Diversity factor of 0.8 on combis which brings you under 6. So should be ok.

Went to give a quote today on a house with 2 boilers
The main house has a Vaillant 938 storage combi and the basement 'flat' has a 24kw combi
There were 2 gas meters but when the owner bought the house, they knocked through to the basement flat and had one meter removed so not to pay charges for both.

The basement combi is now dead and they want to replace it with another but
Vaillant 938 uses 4.15 m3/hr
24kw combi uses around 2.5 m3/hr

What is the best way forward?
Get them to arrange for a bigger meter to be fitted?

It's close.
So I would advise on a u16

I was lead to beleive the powers that be wont fit a bigger meter until the demands to great, so you may have to fit the boiler. Test, and if it's not right get it changed.

I had it this week on a job. Worked it out to just under 6m3/hr. All working fine and i'm sure they would be ok much higher for short periods. Of course a u16 would be better if possible.

Tread carefully. If you bung this lot in and you cant get it commissioned due to poor working pressure/insufficient flow then customer will point the finger at you.

I recently went to a house which was having an extension and major refurb. Builder /customer had arrnaged to have U6 meter moved from inside to outside.

Network operator turns up, digs, runs new plastic service to outside meter box job done,,fat wad of money changes hands.

Fast forward a few months,,builder/Gas chap realises that new connected load is over the U6 limit.

Back to network operator,,another fat wad changes hands, dig dig, 32mm service,big meterbox, new U16 meter.

Measure twice, cut once..

Also don't forget that some u6 meters suffer from meter absorption when running on max gas! That can drop 4mbar just across the meter itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

On the basis that one opinion is good but two...
Replies
Views
As a young man i installed a lot of one pipe...
Replies
Views
J
Jonast would like to thank you all who have...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
I started with 65C thinking that if it was not...
Replies
Views
Back