Tool advice | Plumbing Tools | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tool advice in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

Hello

I'm new to the forum and to the plumbing world but I start my course in September and in the meantime I though it would be a good idea to start accumulating the tools of the trade for the future as I'm sure they won't be cheap, so really I just want to know where do you recommend I do my collecting and what are the good brands to look for, when I was a mechanic it was all about snap-on so which brand is the one for plumbing.

Thanks guys

If you go to car boot sales and see a 30+ year old shifter that still works - buy it.

I bought a 24" bahco shifter 15 years ago, and still have it.
I don't know what it did before I got it, but if it had a harder life than I have given it - it has stood the test of time

The bloody thing is probably older than me - but I'm going to take it to the grave with me.

one of the best tools i got when i started off last year was a split ring compression fitting spanner (recommended on this forum actually)

you wont get a leak on 15/22 mm compression fittings when using that bad boy. touch wood :dizzy2:

I'm currently doing my level three, but I've got a 4" bahco adjustable, a 6" todays tools wide jaw from tool station and a fat max neon flat head. These are the tools that are always in my elephant ears and i think extremely good value. Apart from that I'd recommend a decent pair of knee pads and bahcos small socket set

hi,
as a newbie in plumbing you can purchase used tools for cheap rate. And whenever you get experience and proper skills, you can upgrade your tools. According to me, i had purchased used tools from plumbing professionals near my town. I think sites like https://www.nriparts.com sells used tools for cheap rates. If you can afford the cost, then you can purchase new tools.

(uk) :d

Best of the lot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 98
anything and everything, hanging rads, boilers, rad tails- got a trv tail driver bit for it(real time saver), noggins, clips, pretty much anything that involves a screw. I work on new builds mostly but i know they can be a bit loud when working in occupied premises especially if its late.
thought that's what you were talking about. My boss doesn't let me use impact drivers for anything as he says they are too rough

thought that's what you were talking about. My boss doesn't let me use impact drivers for anything as he says they are too rough

Depends how you use them. On ordinary pozidrive screw heads they can be rough, but so can a combi drill. Use the correct and unworn bit for a start. Also you can get an impact driver that has 3 different speed/torque settings & can be as gentle as a normal cordless drill.
Excellent for driving in thunderbolts or coach screws.
Impact drivers are so compact and lightweight.

Last edited:
in my opinion you don't need to splash out on an 18v impact driver, I got a 10.8v dewalt one, will happily drive 3" x 12 screws to hang rads , id buy second hand tools to start off with , try boot sales and ebay. I got a credit card out last year, and have been buying power tools on it, buy one tool and this way I can spread the cost , then buy the next one ect.

me to , I got the combo kit, so impact and drill, best 110 quid I spent! drill brilliant for self tapping flues and holes for 15mm and 10mm pipes thru floorboards etc, then I bought the torch to fit them for around 30 quid, that has the most amazing light on, then I got the 10.8v radio for around 50 quid, brilliant 4 items that I always have with me on the van , I also got a dewalt 240v sds, all cost me around 300 together, best 300 I spent!!......on tools anyway!!! haha

IMO your better off buying a decent regular li-on battery'd 18v cordy, i.e dewalt xr (or makita range) as your also be able to use hole saw kits, you could also buy a bare body Xr impact later on which you would already have batterys n charger for,

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Went with both options, my new bacho wide grip...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Same here. There are times you just cannot...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think most here would recommend anything by...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Ryooo, cool for size, excellent bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Back