Tool for stubborn tap head gear? | Plumbing Tools | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tool for stubborn tap head gear? in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
As the title suggests. Anyone know of a decent tool for removing a really stubborn tap head gear?
I've usually managed to crack them after a while but one job a couple of months ago had me beat, the customer had these really old taps and he loved them and I was close to threading the 'nut' part of the tap head trying to remove it. I actually admitted defeat on that one but have promised him I will be back when I figure out how to get it off. I was there to replace a valve on his toilet but he mentioned the dripping taps and said that 2 other plumbers had failed at removing them before me.
I remember seeing something on dragons den a year or so ago, it looked decent to be fair but was slated by the dragons.

Did have 28mm copper pipe used on some taps.
But had a bigger tap and needed LCS I had tucked away, I thought it was big enough but was only 1" so had to upscale with reducer and a bigger spanner on headgear.
Come off o.k. though, leverage.

All this freeze talk spray makes me laugh, no way is it going to freeze or shrink anything... I have had a can in the van for a couple years I normally use it to try & free a bolt etc but I doubt very much it's freeze / shrink abilities... I'd imagine you'd have to use half a can for that & im far too tight fisted for that! Better off getting the blowlamp on it & doing the opposite ??

Impact socket set and impact driver, 17,18,19,20mm will do most taps and stopcocks.

Holding a backnut box spanner as a brace so the tap doesn't move

I pull the guts out of 50-60 yr old taps with it on a daily basis

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
IF the valve is free moving with the head off...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My father's bath has unknown make tap heads...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ah.. i see. yes very odd and at this point...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Might also explain why water pours out. You...
Replies
Views
Burger
B
Back