Tools in vans - security? | Plumbing Tools | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Tools in vans - security? in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

M

MattWeth

Just wondering what other people do regarding security for tools in your van.

I've just picked up a second hand Caddy. It's already ply lined but that's it - an empty box for me to make my own.

I've been wondering about a van vault for power tools but having stuck the size of one on the floor with masking tape (the only place it would seem to fit is against the wheel arch box), I'm not sure if even the smaller 'mobi' looks like it'll take up a lot of space. Or should use one anyway and work around it?...

Does anyone else use a van vault or do you use something else for tool security (or nothing)?

Any input appreciated :)

the reason i say a knife is a bad idea is i reckon the person who hasn't gone to bed yet, is high on drugs, who has his blood up and adrenaline pumping already who comes face to face with someone who is suprised, shocked and probably quite scared, has just woken up and carrying a knife - i wouldn't be overly suprised if the struggle doesn't go well for you and you end up getting badly injured or killed. they've often got nothing to lose and are half expecting a fight from the moment the begin the deed. i wasn't saying i don't think you should defend your property/family. i just suspect the best way to do that would be to co-operate and calmly offer them an immediate exit.

Van vaults are great if you have the space, it really is piece of mind for me. Also The false floor ideas are good, i have done this before in a few vans, the most recent was for tube and stuff.
Normally sliding doors seem less prone to break in's than rear doors, so I would recommend using the sliding door to your advantage i;e any false floor for tools is only accessible from sliding door. Also Things like despatches/ scudo and some caddys have twin sliding doors. Personally i find them a bit awkward to work with because you lose racking space, but the Scudo I had last I boxed off one sliding door and fitted the power tools in that section ( no van vault that time) It means that they are only accessible from the one door so if the thief breaks in through the back they can't access them without smashing the ply boxing to bit's which most wouldn't. Also means you can use the ply to rack etc on the 'other side' if that makes sense!

Last edited:
The rear doors of my van go hard up against the garage and the whole thing is alarmed with a motion sensitive alarm for the cab and back. It' comes with the added bonus that anyone setting off the alarm gets their kneecaps broken within very little time of it going off.

Back