UFH why bother when you have photovoltaics | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss UFH why bother when you have photovoltaics in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all with the advent of photo voltaics and heat stores, low temp UFH becomes a why bother. Bags of cheap electric and hot water backed up in the heat store, just use radiators. Now Im aware radiators take up space, but consider what happens when you have to fix a UFH system. With rads at worst you unbolt and fit another. Contect the rads to a manifold best of both worlds. A themostat in every room.

With UFH faults is have a stroke time with the potential bills and disruption.

Dont start me on air source heat pumps, thats the devils vegitable. I think they are the next Enron scandal in the making.

Feel free to shoot me down.

Last edited:
I remember when this was a plumbing forum.

I remember when this was a plumbing forum.
It all forms part of the system GB. The discusson centers on UHF and to a lesser degree ASHP, and its potential for complexity and large bills. There has been an interesting and valid input from our esteemed contributors.

I must ask if UHF vanished tomorrow, would your pension plan vanish with it.

Ric is your floor floating T&G? ie 22mm.
No. It's square edged pine on a suspended floor and screwed to the joists. The Recticel was placed between the existing (historical) joists and edges and joints gunned.
It all forms part of the system GB. The discusson centers on UHF and to a lesser degree ASHP, and its potential for complexity and large bills. There has been an interesting and valid input from our esteemed contributors.

I must ask if UHF vanished tomorrow, would your pension plan vanish with it.
Agree this discussion does indeed have relevence to plumbing.

Not sure why you think plumbers view UFH as a get-rich quick scheme. It tends to be something people aspire to have, but I would not imagine plumbers are able to charge more for the labour involved in UFH installations than for other plumbing tasks. If you like radiators, then you're right to fit them. Personally I prefer the old single panel ones as they give a greater proportion of radiant heat - we all have our preferences.

Like I say, I do have my own UFH heating system and it has its good and its bad points and that's what I tell customers - it suits some people and it suits some houses and suitability depends on people's needs. Speaking for myself, I'm not pushing it like crazy because, had I wanted to make a lot of money, I'd not have gone into plumbing at all - more likely advertising or the police force. I got into this industry because it was something I enjoyed, something that used my skills, and something that is (at times) genuinely useful as a service to society.

If, like John Cleese, you came here to have an argument, do tell me, because I can argue if you want :)

pardon? i dont understand. can you explain?
The heat from a finned rad is mostly convection with some radiant heat also. Unfinned rads give out less heat by convection. Thus you need bigger rads. The bigger rads give out more radiant heat than the smaller finned rads of the same rated output.

The heat from a finned rad is mostly convection with some radiant heat also. Unfinned rads give out less heat by convection. Thus you need bigger rads. The bigger rads give out more radiant heat than the smaller finned rads of the same rated output.
Thanks for the explanation.
If you like radiant heat from old single panel rads, you must be blasting through hot water!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I agreed with this. Is the whole house not...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, First post here and hoping for some...
Replies
Views
S
S
50mm 9m long no intake.
Replies
Views
Ermintrude
E
  • Question
Re: Sludge flush failure DIY resolution (or...
Replies
Views
Back